Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Richard Coyan, with a special time of prayer and reflection on the life of Past President Walt Spangler who died on January 1, 2018.
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Chris Mullins
Song: Jim Hooks returned with two old chestnuts: "Auld Lang Syne” and “Better Than Ever This Year."
Absentees: Ty, Scott, Craig, Dolly, Dan Dailey, Dan DeLong, Amy, Larry H., Charlie H., Jack, Sr. Monica, Cody, Bob M., Dave M., Earl, Barry, Dwight, Jenny, Patty, Gary S., Bill S., Tim T., Wayne, Heidi, Tim W., Judy, Vince
Make-ups: Eric Liggett—eClubOne
Visiting Rotarians: Kathleen Young—Circleville Sunrise; Drake Sneed—Arlington
Guests: Jim Wasil (guest of Kathleen Young); Jennifer Sneed (guest of Bob Sneed)
Happy Dollars: Jim River on our student guest (and his granddaughter) and Debbie Hoffman on the Browns “Perfect Season"
Student guests: Jonathan Davis introduced two students from Circleville High School: Olivia Fausnaugh and Jon Burns
Lottery: Joe McNemar won the weekly drawing of $132but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $513.
- Jayme Fountain invited all Rotarians to an informational meeting regarding The Literacy Outreach Team from Mongolia. The meeting is next Friday, January 12, 2018 from 5 to 6 pm at Watt Street Tavern. Pizza will be provided so RSVP by January 10th to Jayme at firstname.lastname@example.org or (740) 412-0126
SAA: Bob Tootle
- Besides Debbie, the other Cleveland Browns fans had to donate in honor of their “Perfectly Horrible” season.
- In honor of our speaker, Bob conducted a Matt Finkes trivia contest. All answers were verified by Matt to be correct. Unfortunately, most of the tables had trouble coming up with the correct answers.
Intro: Bob Sneed introduced Matt Finkes who is best known now as a game day analyst for OSU Football.
Matt is from Piqua, Ohio (one answer missed). He was a 4-year letterman and 3-year starter for OSU from 1993-96. He earned 1st team All-Big Ten honors in ’94, ’95, and ’96. In 1996 he was a 1st team All-American. After being drafted by the Carolina Panthers, he played for four seasons in the NFL.
After serving on local and national philanthropic boards, he started a new career as the Director of Development for the Wexner Medical Center. There he focuses on major gift fundraising for the Department of Ophthalmology. He also works as a football analyst for ABC and for high school football on Spectrum Sports.
Speaker(s): Matt Finkes spoke about philanthropy and football. As a tight end under John Cooper, he had the opportunity to play with some major name players like Eddie George and Luke Fickel.
- Matt shared to good state of philanthropy and generosity in the community.
- He answered lots of questions about OSU, college, and professional football.
Speaker's contact information:
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Rotary Foundation will be made in their names.
Pres. Gary concluded by asking us to recite the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until something better comes along...
11th: Jerry Newman - Scioto Post
18th: Ray Stein - Columbus Dispatch Sports Editor
25th: Bob Haven - "What the next automobile you buy will be like"