(Editor's request: Please remember to jot down your announcements & give them to me. A simple hand-written note or an e-mail in advance would work well. Thank you!)
Presiding: Pres. Ian Webb
Prayer: Norm Wilson
Piano: Ellery Elick
Intros: Judy Wolford
Song: Jim Hooks led the karaoke versions of “ eer Barrel Polka” and “Sweet Caroline.”
Absentees: Craig, Curtis, Dan Dailey, Jonathan, Dan DeLong, Jean, Joy, Heather, Richard G., Charlie H., Steve I. Sr. Monica, Beth, Bob L., Fred, Chris, Dwight, Jenny, Rick R., Patty, Werner, Gary S., Roxan, Warren, Todd, Bill S., Bonnie, Wayne, Vince
Make ups: eClubOne—Charlie Hedges (2)
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Joel Esala with Bob Sneed
Student Guests: None due to school being cancelled.
January birthdays: 5th - Bob Tootle; 22nd - Dave Webb; 23rd - Clark Cellio, Jenny Rainey; 24th - Fred Mavis; 25th - Wayne Vickers; 31st - Carly Neff
January anniversaries: 3rd - Tad Grover; 7th - Bob Mabe
Happy Dollars: None
Lottery: Gary Dean was this week's winner of $16, but the golden pebble remained hidden. The jackpot is now $190.
- Noon Rotary staffs the kitchen on the 4th Monday of each month. The time commitment is three hours or less and volunteers are always welcome. No experience necessary! Gary Montgomery has more details. Volunteering Monday were Gary and Sandy Montgomery, Warren Spangler, Bob Sneed, Bob Mabe, Harry Canfield, John Ellis, Dan Fouts and David and Marie Crawford.
- Ellery: Rural-Urban Day will be the last Thursday in February (02/28/19), starting promptly at 11:30AM at the Presbyterian Church. This is a great opportunity to invite a guest, especially someone involved in the farming/ag business.
- Ian read a thank you note from the Hooks family with respect to the passing of Jack.
- Via flyer: This year the Rotary International Convention will be in Hamburg, Germany. Registration has begun, and a link can be found on the District's webpage.
- New member proposal: Marie Nemes-Crawford has been proposed for membership in the Data Analyst classification. Any objections should be directed to Drex.
SAA: Tom Tootle
- There was some brief “Who’s Your Rotary (Grand)Daddy” but it wound up costing Don Metzler money for his grandson’s basketball ability.
- Jim Hooks got fined for his song leading.
- Ellery didn’t know the date of the Rural-Urban Day so he left a dollar poorer.
- The Mayor and Berger all got fined for their new agreement.
- We had some members children on the Logan Elm honor roll.
- The MR/DD tax rollback cost Mike Pelcic.
- Carly got to pay for her birthday.
- Tony, the Human Resources Director got in the news and it cost him.
- Tom finished with some Super Bowl trivia.
Program: Carly intorduced our program. Brenna Gibson and Kevin Douglas told us about Uptown Circleville. Brenna is a farmer and Township Trustee. She is a lifelong county resident who sits on several boards. She is a Community Board Member of Uptown Circleville and chairs the Design Committee. She is married with two grown children and on drandaughter.
Kevin Douglas is the Marketing Director fo Uptown Circleville. He is currently employed with The Ohio State University Department of Family Medicine. Throughout his career, he has worked in marketing and event planning for several Chambers of Commerce, including Canal Winchester, Dublin, and Worthington. Kevin graduated from Ohio State with a bachelor’s degree in Communications and a master’s in Public Polic. He is a Teays Valley alumnus and lives in northern Pickaway County with is wife and daughter.
- Coalition of merchants, owners, investors, government
- Project based
- Revitalization plan—getting liquor permits available (15), restaurants, options
- When you complain about something you need to be part of the fix
- On Design Committee
- No business downtown but feels it’s her community
- Planters concrete in granite finish—started with a fast ad easy project
- Changing colors for the changing seasons (Spring/summer, fall, holiday)
- Try to place them near sponsors
- Can be groups or families, commemorating
- Includes signage from sponsor
- Had to get historical review approval
- Requested Rotary sponsor a planter
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Dog Shelter will be made in their names.
Speaker’s Contact Information:
2/7: Make A Wish - Kate Quinn
2/14: One Book/One Community - Heather Foll
2/21: Walking the Pacific Crest Trail - Victor & Alisha Riffle
2/28: Rural-Urban Day at Presbyterian Church (11:30 am)