Presiding: Chris Mullins
Prayer: Harry Canfield
Piano: Ellery Elick
Intros: Matt Tootle
Song: Walt Spangler, "The Band Played On" & "Sing Rotarians"
Absentees: Ankrom, Beavers, Joe Brown, Crespo, Davis, Ewing, Fountain, Good, Halm, Hoffman, Jim Hooks, Joiner, Justinger, Lewis, Bob Liggett, Eric Liggett, Maroscher, Mavis, McIlroy, Pelcic, Reynolds, Scherer, Sigmon, Stevens, Tener, Throckmorton, Vickers, White, Wolfe, Wolford
Make-ups: Sunrise - Jean Droste; eClub One - Jim River
Visiting Rotarians: Logan - Bill Boone
Guests: Dick McClish, by Earl Palm
March birthdays: 5th - Dan Dailey; 9th - Tom Tootle; 10th - Chris Mullins; 11th - Dick Patrick; 12th - Roy Huffer; 26th - Jerry Leist, Bob McCrady; 29th - Scott Applegate
March anniversaries: 2nd - Walt Spangler; 18th - Don Metzler; 19th - Debbie Hoffman
April birthdays: 3rd - Gary Dean; 9th - Craig Brown; 10th -Debbie Hoffman; 13th - Mark Smith; 14th - Angela Beavers; 15th - Ellery Elick; 16th - Gary Gillen & Tad Grover; 18th - Larry Halm; 22nd - Barry Pontius
April anniversaries: 2nd - Steve Stevenson; 8th - Harry Canfield, Dave Moss; 26th - Dan Delong; 28th - Larry Powell
Student guests: Billy Dennis, Principal of Westfall High School, introduced three students: Alissa Wickline, Sierra Tracy, & Katie Powers.
Lottery: Jim River received the weekly drawing of $12, but did not draw the golden bean. Jackpot is now $26.
- Pres. Chris announced that our club has decided to support the Haven House's capital campaign
- Gary Dean: Personally extended an invitation to all Rotarians to attend the District 6690 Assembly on 04/01/17. Please see him for the details regarding the event.
- Gary Montgomery: 03/27/17 is the next Community Kitchen event. Volunteers are needed and greatly appreciated.
- Jessica Mullins: The next Rotary After-hour mixer will be 03/29/17 at Gants Pizza., from 5-7pm.
- Rotary RI will be holding the 2017 RI Convention in Atlanta from June 10-14. The registration cost is $415. If you are planning to attend, please drop a line to Gary Dean at Gary.Dean@HERrealtors.com. (You can also go to www.rotaryconvention2017.org to register &/or get more details.)
- Rotary's 2017-2018 Assembly for District 6690 will be on 04/01/17 (no April Fool's joke here!) at Zane State College in Zanesville, Ohio. For more info, go to: http://rotary6690.org/training-events/district-assembly. To register, go to: http://www.directory-online.com/Rotary/index.cfm?EventID=77311684
SAA: Bob Sneed
- Gary Montgomery: Mt Oval photo in the newspaper
- Richard Coyan: New Hope administration changes
- Tim Williams: for success of a LEHS student in basketball
- Craig Brown: OCU for runner-up position in championship
- Ned Schreiner: for representing Rotary club
- YMCA board members or former board members: for the Giving Campaign
- National Happiness Week: asked "Who is happy?"
Happy Bucks: Patty Rothe shared her son, Nick Rothe, had received the Circleville Middle School's Tiger Pride Awards in both soccer & wrestling, and made it to District Science Fair for the second year in a row.
Intro: Dave Webb
Speaker(s): Dr. Jarrod Burks, of Ohio Valley Archaeology, Inc.
- Discussed radar survey, and how he was asked to interpret a survey report that was written in Polish.
- Told a story of 1st Lt. Ewart Sconiers, a POW in Stalag Luft III, who is still missing. He was supposedly buried in the local municipal hospital in Lublin, Poland. Unfortunately, his remains have yet to be found, due to the removal &/or destruction of grave markers & grave sites.
- Therefore, Jarrod was asked to go to Poland to find Sconiers' remains with Jarrod's radar equipment.
- He shared the challenges of shipping the equipment & getting the funds for the trip.
- Displayed the old maps, drawings, & photos from which Jarrod had to work.
- He donated his time, and his accommodation expenses were covered.
- Explained how he narrowed the site down to a specific spot in the cemetery.
- Stated that topsoil has magnetic properties, so his magnetometer can detect such soil disturbance in earthworks.
- Shared how the magnetic data from Poland "sucked." Luckily the radar results were much better.
- He was able to focus the results down to the gravesite being in one of two rows. They had to submit his results in order to get permission to dig the trenches.
- The federal government was to acquire the permission for digging, but they didn't come through. Therefore, Jarrod had to work through local channels, that he had developed while there, to gain the permission.
- Displayed images of their findings, and how there were two people per grave.
- Jarrod never found Sconiers' remains in that cemetery, but they did eventually receive a photo of Sconiers' grave marker in another city in Poland. Turns out that many of the French soldiers were moved from the original site to this secondary cemetery, & Jarrod feels the remains will be confirmed as that site.
- The DNA samples were taken, and Jarrod is waiting on the results.
Jarrod. Burks, PhD
4889 Sinclair Rd., Suite 210
Columbus, OH 43229
(614) 436-4926 Phone
(614) 309-6074 Mobile
(614) 436-6945 Fax
March program schedule (submitted by Ian Webb)
30th: Walt Spangler - Germany
April program schedule (submitted by Ian Webb)
6th: Heather Foll - Pickaway FANS Network
13th: Joy Hoover & Jeff Sheets - Teays Valley Education Foundation
20th: Ryan Scribner - Sofidel Update
27th: Dan Patrick - Retired "Samson" monster truck driver