By: Patty Rothe, Rotary Newsletter Editor;
(Editor's request: Please remember to jot down your announcements & give them to me. A simple hand-written note or an e-mail in advance would work well. Thank you!)
Presiding: Pres. Ian Webb
Prayer: Dan Dailey
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Angela Beavers
Song: Dave Webb-"Wait 'Til the Sun Shines, Nellie" & "You're a Grand Old Flag"
Absentees: Ankrom, Craig Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Christopher, Coyan, Davis, Droste, Ewing, Foll, Fouts, Gerhardt, Hoffman, Adam Johnson, Justinger, McIlroy, Montgomery, Chris Mullins, Jessica Mullins, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Riegel, Scherer, Sigmon, Sneed, Spangler, Stevens, Bob Tootle, Matt Tootle, Vallette, Vickers, Wolford, Yaniga
Make ups: None
Visiting Rotarians: Sunrise - David Smith
April birthdays: 2nd - Curtis Christopher; 3rd - Gary Dean; 9th - Craig Brown; 10th - Debbie Hoffman; 14th - Angela Beavers; 15th - Ellery Elick; 16th - Tad Grover; 22nd - Barry Pontius; 23rd - Tony Chamberlain
April anniversaries: 2nd - Steve Stevenson; 26th - Dan Delong
Happy Dollars: Dave Crawford, on behalf of Steve Irwin, for DuPont receiving the P3 award recently.
Student Guests: Billy Dennis, Principal of Westfall High School, introduced Abbie Ogle & Maylon Conrad.
Lottery: Bob Liggett was this week's winner of $16, but the golden pebble remained hidden. The jackpot is now $321.
- Pres. Ian:
- 1)Ned Schreiner got hit by a tow truck while walking! He was taken to the hospital, but is doing well now.
- 2) Read a thank-you note.
- Beth Kowalski: Announced that the Pickaway County (Legal) Bar Association is hosting a ".5K Bar Run" on 05/16/19, starting at 6PM. The event begins at Shifty's Tavern and ends at Gant's Pizza & Pub. Proceeds to benefit the Pickaway County Fairgrounds. Register online at www.pcbalaw.org by April 30th to receive a t-shirt.
- Gary Dean: Pumpkin Show Band will be performing their annual FREE Spring Concert on 04/07/19 @ 3PM at Emmett Chapel.
- Reminder: The annual Pickaway County Mayor's Breakfast event will be on 05/09/19 at 7:30AM at OCU. This event is a fundraiser for the Boy Scouts of America, and this year's honorees are Steve & Judy Gary. Please RSVP to Susan.Emerson@scouting.org or call (614)310 - 1324.
- Via e-mail:
- Registration is now open for the Rotary Districts' 6650 & 6690 Joint District Conference on April 12th-13th at Hilton Polaris hotel in Columbus. Please log onto our Rotary District's website for details.
Joe Mcnemar was presented with a Paul Harris +1 award. Congrats Joe!
Two members inducted: Don Ritchie & Bob Foster were welcomed into our club!
SAA: Angela Beavers
- Dave Webb: for not being SAA
- April birthdays: can pick someone to pass the fine; Dave Webb was a favorite target.
- Trivia, based on FaceBook info, done row by row.
Program: Pres. Ian Webb introduced today's speaker, Holly Cottrill, the new Director of the Pickaway Senior Center. She shared some of her professional & personal background.
- Explained how the death of her grandfather triggered her to pursue the senior health industry
- Spoke of the Meals on Wheels programs. Some of their drivers cover 100 miles in a day. "This is often the highlight of (the senior's) day."
- The Senior Center's facility is a wonderful place for seniors to connect with others, which is an important aspect of their lives.
- Have an Adult Daycare progam
- They have a Transportation program that takes people to doctor appointments, grocery shopping, etc
- Home-making service: Does laundry & clean their homes
- Assist in completeing paperwork, such as Medicare & Medicaid forms.
- Provide funds to get a senior's home adapted for handicap accessibilty, etc
- Services availabilty to all citizens in Pickaway County who are 60 years or older. Do not have to pay to participate.
- Expanding their activities, such as painting classes, clogging dance classes, and much more.
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Dog Shelter will be made in their names.
- 18th: Health Care Logistics - Geralyn Yingling & Bethany Reid
- 25th: Intro to Dinosaurs - Dale Gnidovec, OSU Orton Museum
- 2nd: Senior Scams - Katie Harper from Office of Attorney General
- 9th: Berger Health's affiliation with Ohio Health - Tim Colburn
- 16th: Brave Choices (active addiction & affected families) - Beth Bullock
- 23rd: Drug deaths in Pickaway - John Ellis
- 30th: Group Study Excahnge (GSE) Team's visit to Taiwan
- 6th: History of funeral business - Ashley Thacker, Scheodinger Funeral
- 13th: Amanda Knotts from Brooks Yates
- 20th: Rainbow Literacy program - David Fausnaugh
- 27th: Changing of the Guard