By: Patty Rothe, Rotary Newsletter Editor;
(Editor's request: Please remember to jot down your announcements & give them to me. A simple hand-written note or an e-mail in advance would work well. Thank you!)
Presiding: Pres. Ian Webb
Prayer: Warren Spangler
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Ty Ankrom
Song: Debbie Hoffman-"God Save the Queen" & "Vive Le Rotary"
Absentees: Bialy, Craig Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Christopher, David Crawford, Davis, Droste, Ewing, Foll, Foster, Grover, Irwin, Adam Johnson, Maroscher, Mavis, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Scherer, Sigmon, Stevens, Stevenson, Matt Tootle, Vallette, Vickers, White, Wolfe, Wolford, Yaniga
Make ups: None
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Sandra Wright, by Don McIlroy
April birthdays: 2- Curtis Christopher; 3- Gary Dean; 9- Craig Brown; 10- Debbie Hoffman; 14- Angela Beavers; 15- Ellery Elick; 16- Tad Grover; 22- Barry Pontius; 23- Tony Chamberlain
April anniversaries: 2- Steve Stevenson; 26- Dan Delong
May birthdays: 3- Ned Riegel; 11- Ned Schreiner, Connie Chamberlain; 15- Don Ritchie; 25- Dan Delong, Dave Crawford; 26- Vince Yaniga, Bob Mabe; 28- Patty Rothe; 30- Jean Droste; 31- Bob Liggett
May anniversaries: 7- Bob Johnson, Joe McNemar; 15- Curtis Christopher; 26- Roger Wolfe; 28- Richard Coyan; 29- Ned Riegel; 30- David & Marie Crawford
Happy Dollars: None
Student Guests: Scott Frazier, of Teays Valley High School, introduced Annie Dye & Sam Fabbro.
Lottery: Joe McNemar was this week's winner of $16, but the golden pebble remained hidden. The jackpot is now $357.
- Pres. Ian: The next Rotary After-hours event will be 04/25/19, 4:30-6:30PM, at Shifty's. Sponsored by Keith & Elisa Peters and Diane Smith.
- Pres Ian read three thank-you's.
- Debbie Hoffman: Thanked those you vounteered to read recently to Head Start students as part of our Rotary Literacy program.
- Carly Neff: Rotary Annual Spring Flower Fundraiser has begun! Orders are being taken now through 05/04/19. Flower pick-up will be at Rhoads Garden Center. "Grab & Go" flowers will be available at the Rotary meeting on 05/03/19. For more details &/or to palce orders, contact Carly at NeffCJ@yahoo.com or call 740-404-5698.
- Beth Kowalski: Reminded us that the Pickaway County (Legal) Bar Association is hosting a ".5K Bar Run" on 05/16/19, starting at 6PM. The event begins at Shifty's Tavern and ends at Gant's Pizza & Pub. Proceeds to benefit the Pickaway County Fairgrounds. Register online at www.pcbalaw.org by April 30th to receive a t-shirt.
- Gary Montgomery:
- Thanked those who helped at the recent Community Kitchen: David & Marie Crawford, Warren Spangler, Gary & Sandy Montgomery, Alexis Parsons & Halie Smetanko (both for community service hours).
- Mt Oval presentation: (Couldn't hear the details)
- Dan Fouts: The annual Pickaway County Mayor's Breakfast event will be on 05/09/19 at 7:30AM at OCU. This event is a fundraiser for the Boy Scouts of America, and this year's honorees are Steve & Judy Gary. Please RSVP to Susan.Emerson@scouting.org or call (614) 310 - 1324.
- Reminder: Wyngate Senior Living Community is holding a fundraiser to support the Alzheimer's Association. During the month of May, treat your staff &/or loved ones on Wednesdays to homemade cinnamon rolls & Tim Horton's coffee. Place an order (12 cinnamon rolls & coffee) for $25, and Wyngate will deliver it! Contact Sister Monica for more details or to place on order at 740-497-1898 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Via e-mail:
- Incoming District Governor, Gary Vaughan, has extended an invitation to all Rotarians to attend his induction celebration on 06/21/19 at 6PM at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 555 North St., Columbus.
- Gary Vaughan also encouraged us to attend the District Training Assembly on 05/18/19 at OU-Zane Trace, from 8:30AM - 1PM. Registration will be opening soon.
- Via postal mail:
- Pickaway's annual FAME (Fashion, Art, Music, Entertainment) event will be on 05/04/19 at 6:30PM at Rhoads Garden Center. It is presented by The Savings Bank, and will feature Schmidt's Food Truck and a cash bar. Details can be found at #PickawayFAME or #PickKind.
SAA: Angela Beavers
- Harry Canfield: Cell phone ringing during the meeting
- Dave Webb: wearing Carly Neff's name badge
- Everyone who owns a cell phone
- Everyone who hasn't been fined yet this month
- Trivia Quiz, done by tables
Program: Dave Webb introduced today's speaker, Dale Gnidovec, Curator of OSU's Orton Geological Museum. If he looks familiar, it is because he spoke to our club in October, and he is back by popular demand.
- Displayed a PowerPoint presentation
- The Orton Hall building was constructed of stones that were placed in chronological order to how they are found in the earth.
- Ohio used to be where Australia is today.
- Discussed different types of dinosaurs
- Richard Owen created the word "dinosaur" in 1482
- People are familiar with dinosaurs, but often the info they have regarding them is inaccurate.
- Showed photos of various types of fossils
- First complete skeleton was found in USA
- Explained some of the tools geologists use
- Sound-wave technology, to locate bones, has not proven to be a sucessful method yet
- Spoke of how they clean, preserve, & then transport bones.
- Shared how pleased he is that museums are going back to displaying "full real skeletons." He exclaimed "That's what you go for...to see real stuff!"
- Discussed the different types of dinosaurs & the environments in which they lived. He also mentioned how the different schools of thought regarding dinosaurs have evolved through the years.
- Compared dinosaurs that were protrayed in movies and the media, to what they have discovered to be more probable.
- They have discovered more dinosaurs who were actually feathered.
- The true purpose of the plates on the stegosauraus's back was actually to distribute excess heat away from the body.
- Explained the purpose for other parts of dinosaurs, such as the crests or domes on the skulls, frills, horns, and tail clubs.
- Spoke of the many types of water-dwelling creatures.
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Dog Shelter will be made in their names.
- 2nd: Senior Scams - Katie Harper from Office of Attorney General
- 9th: Berger Health's affiliation with Ohio Health - Tim Colburn
- 16th: Brave Choices (active addiction & affected families) - Beth Bullock
- 23rd: Drug deaths in Pickaway - John Ellis
- 30th: Group Study Excahnge (GSE) Team's visit to Taiwan
- 6th: History of funeral business - Ashley Thacker, Scheodinger Funeral
- 13th: Amanda Knotts from Brooks Yates
- 20th: Literacy program—Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library - David Fausnaugh
- 27th: Changing of the Guard