Presiding: Gary Dean
Prayer: Harry Canfield
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Angela Beavers
Song: Eric Liggett - "I’m Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover" & "Smile, Sing a Song"
Absentees: Ankrom, Craig Brown, Canfield, Christopher, Crespo, Davis, Ewing, Foll, Gillen, Grover, Halm, Hedges, Irwin, Justinger, Lewis, Bob Liggett, Maroscher, Mavis, McIlroy, McNemar, Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Schreiner, Stevens, Stevenson, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Vallette, Vickers, Williams, Yaniga
Make-ups: Sunrise - Jayme Fountain; eClub One - Charlie Hedges
Visiting Rotarians: Sunrise - Jimmy Laux
Guests: Ava Neff, by her mother, Carly Neff
May birthdays: 3rd - Ned Riegel; 11th - Ned Schreiner, Connie Chamberlain; 25th - Dan Delong, Dave Crawford; 26th - Vince Yaniga, Bob Mabe; 28th - Patty Rothe; 30th - Jean Droste; 31st - Bob Liggett
May anniversaries: 7th - Bob Johnson, Joe McNemar; 15th - Curtis Christopher; 23rd - Roger Wolfe; 28th - Richard Coyan; 29th - Ned Riegel; 30th - Dave Crawford
June birthdays: 14th - Jack Hooks; 18th - Gary Scherer & Rick Rawlins; 22nd - Beth Kowalski; 24th - Bob Johnson (Happy 88th Dad!! Love you!); 27th - Tim Throckmorton
June anniversaries: 5th - Gary Dean; 7th - Wayne Vickers; 10th - Bob Liggett; 11th- Jonathan Davis; 18th - Charley Gerhardt; 21st - Dick Gerhardt, Fred Mavis; 24th - Jim Hooks; 29th - Patty Rothe
Happy Dollars: None
Student guests: None, due to summer break
Lottery: Pres. Gary was this week's winner of $14, but the golden bean remained hidden. The jackpot is now at $814.
- Joe Brown: Introduced three of our Rotary Scholarship winners, Chris Taylor of CHS, Jenna Reeser of LEHS/PRCTC, & Abigail Sibbalds of TVHS
- Dan Fouts: Spoke about our Rotary Charitable Giving Committee, and the programs we fund, such as Food Pantries, After-Prom events, and S.A.L.T. (Senior and Law Together).
- Pres. Gary: Gave an update on Vince Yaniga; No longer in ICU but still has some hospital time ahead of him.
- Pres; Gary Dean: Read a thank-you card from Teen Task Force for our financial support
SAA: Judy Wolford
- Warren Spangler: having his gun stolen
- Ellery Elick: his phone ringing during the meeting
- Chris Mullins: forgetting Judy’s name
- Logan Elm: for their athletes going to State.
- Patty Rothe: 1) CHS Baseball team competing tomorrow for the State title, 2) the touching story of WWII veteran Mr. Robert Lockard receiving his diploma at CHS’ graduation ceremony this past weekend
- Baptist church members: news article about a Baptist church having a statue of “a Jesus that looks too Catholic!”
- Gave us a sports-themed trivia quiz.
Intro: Eric Liggett introduced Joyce Keller, of Ted Lewis Museum, who then introduced Joseph Rubin, who was today’s speaker.
- Joseph Rubin serves as curator of our Ted Lewis Museum, & a serves on the Board. He attends the meetings via Skype.
- Grew up in Canton.
- Lives & works in New York City.
- Museum is open every Friday & Saturday, from 1-5 PM
- Shared some of the earliest found video footage of Ted Lewis performing.
- Shared some photos of Ted Lewis , & of a past concert by the museum to the 3-5th graders at Circleville.
- Due to the size of the classes, they are no longer able to fit them into the museum for tours. The Museum’s outreach program now goes out to the schools for visits.
- Shared details about the Ted Lewis Museum’s upcoming Joseph Rubinoff’s Violin Concert. It will be this Saturday (06/02/18) at Circleville High School.
- Explained that Rubinoff had a connection to our community via two performances he gave in Circleville. Also, he lived in Columbus for the last 15 years of his life.
- Gave specifics of some of the performers at this weekend’s concert
- Pointed out that the performers are of “very high caliber. This will be a phenomenal concert!”
- Concluded with a quick video of Rubinoff performing.
- “Is everybody happy?”, which was Ted Lewis’ famous quote.
Speaker's contact information:
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Special Olympics will be made in their names.
Meeting was concluded by reciting the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
7th: Jan Shannon - "Pickaway County Community Foundation”
14th: Marc Rogols - Pickaway County Dog Warden
21st: Keith Summers - Pumpkin Show Park on N. Court St.
28th: Marty Ford - Two Line Board Company