Presiding: Gary Dean
Invocation: Offered by Warren Spangler
Visiting Rotarians and Guests: (Read by Chris Mullins) None
Piano: Ellery Elick
Songs: Leader: Jessica Mullins led us in singing #39 “In the Good Old Summertime” and our Rotary song, #57 “R-O-T-A-R-Y.”
- Joe Brown presented another Rotary Scholarship to Gunner Hall, Westfall HS. He plans to attend Columbus State. True to his name, he is a national champion trap shooter.
- Chris Mullins announced that Haven House is moving in August. They need help at the new facility on Island Road putting bunk beds together. Go to the shelter around 9:00 am on Monday through Wednesday. An open house will be held in July.
- Sr. Monica shared news of her mother’s death last week.
- Chris Mullins paid a “Happy Dollar” for his son Sterlin Mullins who shoots with Gunner. Sterlin got first in age class.
- Ned Schreiner had a “Happy Dollar” for his granddaughter who had a baby last week.
- President Gary noted that the Rotary District 6690 Kick Cancer campaign reached its goal of raising over $200,000.
- Gary also read a thank you from Scholarship winner going into second year at OCU, Kellen Hayes.
SAA: Jayme Fountain
- National Donut Day, everyone who has eaten a donut.
- June 6—D-Day; veterans get to pass the fine.
- June 7—National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
- Teays Valley softball team
- Circleville people who did not go to rally for the baseball team.
- Fairgrounds demolition—4H’ers and farmers pay
- Deer Creek Dam Days—anyone who has eaten a hotdog this month
Lottery winner: Jim Hooks won $14. The pot of $828 is still available.
Absentees: Ty, Angela, Craig, Bud, Curtis, Richard C., David C., Dolly, Jonathan, Dan D., Joy, Richard G., Larry, Steve I., Loribeth, Cody, Eric, Fred, Michael P., Dwight, Jennifer, Patty, Gary S., Roxan, Todd, Tim T., Matt, Bonnie, Wayne, Heidi, Tim W., Roger, Judy, Vince
June birthdays: 14th - Jack Hooks; 18th - Gary Scherer & Rick Rawlins; 22nd - Beth Kowalski; 24th - Bob Johnson (Happy 88th Dad!! Love you!); 27th - Tim Throckmorton
June anniversaries: 5th - Gary Dean; 7th - Wayne Vickers; 10th - Bob Liggett; 11th- Jonathan Davis; 18th - Charley Gerhardt; 21st - Dick Gerhardt, Fred Mavis; 24th - Jim Hooks; 29th - Patty Rothe
Program: Pickaway County Community Foundation
Introduced by: Carly Neff introduced Jan Shannon, Executive Director of the Pickaway County Community Foundation. Jan was born and raised in Pickaway County. She has a Master's Degree in Business Administration from Ohio Christian University and spent most of her career working for public retirement systems in downtown Columbus. Jan was very fortunate to have the opportunity to come to Circleville and work the last nine years before she officially retired with Pickaway County Job and Family Services as the Administrator of Workforce Development and Cash Assistance and Food Stamps. Since retirement Jan has worked at Ohio Christian University where she started their Career Services Department and she has worked with Pickaway HELPS program. In December, 2016, Jan took over as Executive Director of the Pickaway County Community Foundation. Jan and her husband Brad, have three grown children, 4 grandsons and live on the west side of the county with their five German Shepherds!
Two women getting together—Doris Yamarick and Shirley Bowser founded the organization
Fund types: unrestricted (none yet), endowment, field of interest (two new ones), designated, scholarship, administrative (pays the rent)
Why? Make Pickaway County better
Most visible achievement—many funds helped make the Mary Virginia Crites Park possible
Breakdown of funds:
15 Board Directed funds
67 Donor Directed
Williamsport UMC Church Fund
Pickaway County Agricultural and Event Center Fund
Grants: 2017, circulated $400,000 into community
Since founding, issued over $3.8 million in grants
The Big Give raised $274,870—any non-profit is eligible
November #givingtuesday—random grants
Increase communication to let people know about the foundation
Growth and sustainability—partnered with Columbus Foundation for a better return and less cost
Advocacy Campaign—funds to help pay the costs of administration so that other funds can go directly to meeting needs
Grant making procedure—go to new website: www.yourpccf.org for application.
Yesterday gave out $12,000
Ted Lewis Museum
Ronald McDonald House
Pumpkin Show Park
Attract Tourism (Columbus Symphony at OCU)
Grow in assets
Grow in funds
Serve the community through grants
Sponsoring “The Big Table” to talk about the issues in the county; 3 sessions (Circleville, Williamsport, Ashville)
12-member board of directors (three-year class)
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Special Olympics will be made in their names.
Meeting was concluded by reciting the Rotary 4-Way Test.
770 N. Court St.
Circleville, OH 43113
740-477-6207 (o); 614-348-2996 (c)
Until something better comes along…
7th: Jan Shannon - "Pickaway County Community Foundation”
14th: Marc Rogols - Pickaway County Dog Warden
21st: Keith Summers - Pumpkin Show Park on N. Court St.
28th: Changing of the Guard