Presiding: Bob McCrady
Prayer: Warren Spangler
Piano: Drexel Poling, for 3 notes only; Don & Ellery are both MIA
Song: None, due to missing pianists
Absentees: Ankrom, Craig Brown, Christopher, Crespo, Davis, Dean, Dan Delong, Elick, Ellis, Ewing, Gerhardt, Gillen, Halm, Jim Hooks, Irwin, Justinger, Lewis, Mavis, Metzler, Chris Mullins, Jessica Mullins, Neff, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Scherer, Shapiro, Sigmon, Stevens, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Vallette, Vickers, Dave Webb, Ian Webb, Williams, Wolfe, Yaniga
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Shelia Poling, by Drexel Poling; Chelsy Gerhard, by Heidi White; Molly Fountain, by her mother Jayme Fountain
June birthdays: 14th - Jack Hooks; 18th - Gary Scherer & Rick Rawlins; 22nd - Beth Kowalski; 24th - Bob Johnson (Happy 88th Dad!! Love you!); 27th - Tim Throckmorton
June anniversaries: 5th - Gary Dean; 7th - Wayne Vickers; 10th - Bob Liggett; 11th- Jonathan Davis; 18th - Charley Gerhardt; 21st - Dick Gerhardt, Fred Mavis; 24th - Jim Hooks; 29th - Patty Rothe
Happy Dollars: None
Student guests: None, due to summer break
Lottery: Mayor Don McIlroy was this week's winner of $11, but the golden bean remained hidden. The jackpot is now at $839.
- Bob McCrady read a thank-you card from Jenna Reeser
- Dan Fouts: Update on the GSE Team’s activities. Need people to help out by volunteering during the scheduled activities
- Joe Brown introduced another Rotary Scholarship winner.
SAA: Judy Wolford
- Jayme Fountain: for not being able to speak, but Judy Wolford paid for that as a “perk.”
- Any members who has a family member who plays baseball
- Drexel & Barry: for Hummel & Plum’s donation to Emergency Clearing House/Food Pantry
- Chris Mullins: for bridge closings
- Anyone involved with OCU: Kids on Campus
- Anyone who has eaten at the new Dairy Queen
Intro: Heidi White introduced Marc Rogols, the Pickaway County Dog Warden at the Wright-Poling Dog Shelter.
- He was awarded the 2017 Dog Warden of the Year, but he quickly pointed out that it was due to his staff’s efforts
- Pointed out how much the Shelter has improved
- 65 dogs currently at shelter
- Euthanasia rate last year was one half of one percent! They try everything possible to avoid thatstep.
- He shared that they walk through the Pumpkin Show parades to show off the animals they have available for adoption.
- Spent $40,000 in vet fees last year
- They do everything they can to find animals their own “forever family.”
- Marc had staff members walk around the room with some of their “population.” (I personally think they should call them “guests.”)
- Shared that they take animals in, even if they need rehabilitation. They will provide training & schooling to any animal.
- Pointed out that shelter staff, himself included, often adopt multiple pets from the shelter. He owns eight dogs already.
- Brought in some puppies from the same litter.
- It was amazing to watch the crowd respond to the pets, especially the puppies. It’s hard to pet a dog and not smile.
- Bob Johnson stood up to not only congratulate Marc for his hard work, but also to Drexel & Shelia Poling for their support of the Shelter.
- Shelter receives NO tax dollars; gets revenue from fees, such as “redemption” fees, and donations.
- He receives a donation of about 40 bags of dog food from WalMart every five weeks.
Speaker's contact information:
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Special Olympics will be made in their names.
Meeting was concluded by reciting the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
21st: Keith Summers - Pumpkin Show Park on N. Court St.
28th: Changing of the Guard
5th: No Meeting; Have a happy & safe Independence Day holiday!
12th: Live STRONG/YMCA - Susie Birdsong
19th: Pickaway County Housing Authority - Kim Hartinger
26th: Pickaway Works Project - Christy Mills