Presiding: VP Gary Dean
Prayer: Jim River
Piano: Ellery Elick
Intros: Roxan Sigmon
Song: Jessica Mullins - "You're a Grand Old Flag" & "God Bless America"
Absentees: Applegate, Beavers, Craig Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Crespo, Dailey, Davis, Elsea, Ewing, Gillen, Good, Halm, Jack Hooks, Justinger, Lewis, Eric Liggett, Mabe, Mavis, Moss, Chris Mullins, Neff, Palm, Radcliff, Reynolds, Scherer, Stevens, Stout, Throckmorton, Bob Tootle, Vickers, Dave Webb, Williams, Wolfe
Make-ups: Sunrise - Jayme Fountain; Myrtle Beach - Ellery Elick
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Debbie Hamric, by Heidi White; Fai, by Jayme Fountain
June birthdays: 5th - Dave Moss;14th - Bob McKelvey, Jack Hooks; 24th - Bob Johnson (HAPPY 87th Dad!!); 18th - Gary Scherer; 21st - Todd Stevens; 27th - Tim Throckmorton
June anniversaries: 5th - Gary Dean; 7th - Wayne Vickers; 10th - Bob Liggett; 11th - Jon Davis; 18th - Charley Gerhardt; 21st - Dick Gerhardt, Fred Mavis; 24th - Jim Hooks; 27th - Bob McKelvey; 29th - Patty Rothe
Student guests: Joe Brown introduced one of our Rotary Shcolarship winners: Maggie Allen
Lottery: Ned Schreiner received the weekly drawing of $11, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $212.
- Bob McCrady: Our Rotary club is sponsoring the Friday in the Park event on 06/30/17 from 10AM - 11:30AM. We still need volunteers!
- Matt Tootle: Our club's 20th Annual Rotary Golf Scramble will be on 09/21/17 at Cooks Creek Golf Club. For more info, please contact Matt Tootle: #740-474-6021 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mike Pelcic: ToastMasters event on 07/25/17 at 5:30PM at Pickaway Co. Library. For more info, call #740-474-3353, or contact Mike Pelcic at email@example.com, or Marie Wilbanks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gary Montgomery thanked those who had volunteered at the recent Community Kitchen.
SAA: Jayme Fountain
- Gary Montgomery fined for the "food fight" at the Community Kitchen
- Trivia Quiz on Thailand, in honor of Fai, our visitor from Thailand via the Exchange Program.
Intro: Gary Montgomery
Speaker(s): Carolyn Seitz, on behalf of the Pickaway Historical Society, spoke about Mount Oval.
- Carolyn shared the story of how her father, a farmer, belonged to Rotary.
- Mount Oval was a gift that was given by Mary Ruth Tolbert to the Pickaway Co. Historical Society.
- Shared a PowerPoint presentation.
- Spoke of the history of the Native Americans in that area, such as Chief Cornstalk & Grenadier Squaw.
- Discussed the geographic features of the area, such as Pickaway Plains, Scioto River, & Scippo Creek, etc.
- Talked about the Renick Family, and their influence in the area.
- In 1832, the Mount Oval house was built by Mr. Renick.
- In 1860, Jacob Ludwig bought the home, and gave it to his son William Ludwig and his new bride.
- The furniture that Mr. Ludwig bought in Cincinnati is still in the Mt. Oval house.
- Jacob Ludwig's youngest daughter, Elizabeth Ludwig Young, then inherited Mt. Oval
- William & Mary (Young) Tolbert were Mary Ruth's parents.
- William & Mary both died in separate vehicle accidents, leaving Mary Ruth an orphan at the age of 5 years old.
- Mary Ruth was then brought to Mt. Oval to live with her relatives.
- Mary Ruth inherited Mt. Oval in 1967, and installed plumbing & electrical service.
- Mary Ruth was quite talented musically, & went to school at Julliard. She also taught music at OSU and other famous venues.
- She traveled overseas, and shared her knowledge of music as well as she brought back what musical knowledge she had gained.
- In addition, she wrote books about music.
- Mary Ruth died in 2012, at the age of 97.
- There are many displays of furniture, Mary Ruth's memorabilia, and other historical items from the history of the property & its surroundings.
- Shared photo of the steps that an Eagle Scout is doing for his Eagle Project at the Scale House.
- Hours & Admission: Tours on 1st & 3rd Saturdays (excluding holidays) at 10:30AM, May - September; Cost is $7 Adults, $5 Seniors & students (ages 5-17).
- Special free event on 07/29/17: Ag Day!, 1PM-5PM
3601 Emerson Road
Circleville, OH 43113
c/o Pickaway Co. Historical Society
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
July program schedule:
6th - Changing of the Guard
13th - US Marshal Service & Bomb-sniffing Dogs - Deputy Aaron Fisher
20th - Ohio State Highway Patrol Motorcycle Unit - Trooper Cory Diehl
27th - Berger Health System - Tim Colburn
August program schedule (All sports-themed, primarily football):
3rd - Circleville
10th - Logan Elm
17th - New Hope
24th - Teays Valley
31st - Westfall