Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Jonathan Davis
Piano: Ellery Elick
Intros: Jonathan Davis
Song: Gary Montgomery - "You're a Grand Old Flag" & "R-O-T-A-R-Y"
Absentees: Beavers, Canfield, Coyan, Crawford, Crespo, Dailey, Dan Delong, Droste, Ewing, Fountain, Halm, Hoffman, Jack Hooks, Lewis, Mabe, Mavis, McCrady, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Reynolds, Sigmon, Stevens, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Vickers, Wolfe
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Jon Kulaga, by Dan Fouts; Jimmie Davis, by Ty Ankrom
August birthdays: 5th - Bill Stout; 10th - Gerhard Maroscher; 16th - Bud Brehmer; 23rd - Warren Spangler
August anniversaries: 3rd - Jack Hooks; 4th - Drexel Poling; 7th - Jerry Leist; 14th - Dan Fouts; 18th - Tom Tootle; 19th - Bob Sneed; 26th - Bob Tootle; 27th - Scott Applegate
Happy Dollars: None
Student guests: None, due to summer break
Lottery: Ty Ankrom received the weekly drawing of $18, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $287.
- Carly Neff:
- 1)Pickaway County Farm to Plate event will be on 08/30/17 at Richards Farms on 24537 Canal Rd. This event is "celebrating local foods & Pickaway County agriculture." Proceeds will go to the Pickaway Co. FFA Chapters & PCN AG Fund. Tickets can be purchased from Carly, or at OSU Extension Office, or at Ashville Grain, or by calling #740-474-7534.
- 2) Braves Blues, & BBQ fundraising event, which supports the Logan Elm Education Foundation, will be on 09/30/17 at 7PM at Rhoads Garden Center. Tickets can be purchased on-line at http://tinyurl.com/braves2017 or email@example.com.
- Ian Webb: Membership Directory is being passed around the room for any updating you may wish to make on your listing.
- Pres. Gary: Gazebo Gathering in Ashville this Sunday (08/13/17) at 4:30PM, sponsored by Kingston National Bank, who will be providing ice cream as well.
- Our club's 20th Annual Rotary Golf Scramble will be on 09/21/17 at Cooks Creek Golf Club. For more info, please contact Matt Tootle: #740-474-6021 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sister Monica: Walk to End Alzheimer's fundraising event will be on August 26th at MVCH Park.
SAA: Beth Kowalski
* Bob Johnson & Patty Rothe: for Paul Johnson being in the newspaper regarding the new K-9 memorial at the Sheriff's Office.
* Gerhard Maroscher: Happy birthday! His birthday is today!
*Don McIlroy: for being in the newspaper photo of Salon Blaze's grand opening.
* Gary Scherer: for two items in the newspaper, tax-free holiday & new legislation regarding DUI's.
*Judy Wolford: for the newspaper article on the Hudson case, and how the Prosecutor's Office is "holding his feet to the fire." (Good job Judy & Jayme!)
*Pickaway Co. Democrats: for Jerry Springer being their keynote speaker
*Sister Monica:for accidentally saying our Pumpkin Show booth supported the Kiwanis instead of Rotary.
Intro: Jonathan Davis
Speaker(s): Tim Williams, Superintendent of Logan Elm School District, and Terry Holbert, LEHS Head Football Coach
- Tim's portion:
- Spoke about their Education Foundation, and some of the activities that they have funded
- Robotics camps, trips to COSI, sidewalk chalk art, trip to museums, & take some disadvantage students out to shop for back-to-school supplies & clothing.
- LESD's relationship with Hopewell Health Services:
- Provide 6 mental health counselors & a child psychiatrist to the school district
- Discussed the enrollment, and their challenge of how LESD has more farm land and less residences. Therefore, that is why they have lower enrollment numbers than other districts.
- Terry's portion:
- Shared how his philosophy of teaching his players to be the best student & person they can be, not just a good football player.
- Discussed their community service, specifically the Veteran's Facility.
- Spoke of how the team has "platoon leaders," and how each leader is responsible for not only how their members play on the field, but also how well they do in school & in the community.
- His wife is a teacher at LESD.
- "Education is still (his) main focus."
- Explained that when he started his previous job with Millersport, they had not won a single game in 4 years. Therefore, he had a "demoralized team" that he had to rebuild. They created "core values", which is a system he still uses today. The core values are: effort, attitude & toughness (mental & physical).
- He views his football program as an extension of the classrooms.
Pres. Gary concluded by asking everyone "to bring a friend" to next week's meeting.
Tim Williams is in our Rotary Membership directory
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
August program schedule (All sports-themed, primarily football)
3rd - Circleville
10th - Logan Elm
17th - New Hope
24th - Teays Valley
31st - Westfall
September program schedule
7th - David Crawford & Norm Wilson, on their beekeeping experiences
14th - Mary Jane Dean & Stan Summers, about their trip to the Atlanta International Rotary Convention
21st - Our Rotary Club Outing at Cook's Creek
28th - Rotary District Governor