Date: 08/16/18 (Editor’s note: Thanks to my father, Bob Johnson, for covering this meeting's notes for me!)
Presiding: Pres Ian Webb
Prayer: Mark Taylor
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: None noted
Song: Angela Beavers led the singing of “My Bonnie LIes Over the Ocean” and “Viva Le Rotary."
Absentees: Joe Brown, Christopher, Coyan, Crawford, Crespo, Davis, Droste, Elsea, Ewing, Foll, Gillen, Halm, Hoffman, Irwin, Lewis, Maroscher, Mavis, McIlroy, Pelcic, Poling, Radcliff, Rothe, Shapiro, Sigmon, Stevens, Stout, Vallette, Vickers, Dave Webb, White, Yaniga
Make-ups: New York - Jayme Fountain
Visiting Rotarians: Sunrise - Warner Searls
Guests: Mike Linton, by Earl Palm; Joel Esala, by Bob Sneed; Debbie Scherer, by Gary Scherer.
August birthdays: 5th - Bill Stout; 10th - Gerhard Maroscher; 16th - Bud Brehmer; 23rd - Warren Spangler
August anniversaries: 3rd - Jack Hooks; 4th - Drexel Poling; 7th - Jerry Leist; 14th - Dan Fouts; 18th - Tom Tootle; 19th - Bob Sneed; 26th - Bob Tootle
Happy Dollars: Ned Riegel - new grandchildren; Jayme’s parents anniversary
Student guests: None, due to summer break
Lottery: Barry Pontius was this week's winner of $23, but the golden bean remained hidden. The jackpot is now at $978.
- Pres. Ian read a thank for of a 4H donation.
- Tony Chamberlain: Our 21st Annual Rotary Golf Tournament will be Sept. 13th at Cooks Creek Golf Club. For more info, please contact Tony at #(614) 216-3832 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carly Neff: “Clean Up Town Circleville” project this Saturday (08/11/18) from 9AM - 1PM. Meet at the E. Franklin St. Municipal Parking Lot to join in on the community effort to clean up our downtown. They’ll “supply the gear; all you need to you bring is the smile.” Call Brenna Gibson for details #(740) 477-6430.
SAA: Gary Montgomery
- Quiz about jokes given table-by-table; every table had correct answer.
Intro: Craig Brown introduced State Representative Gary Scherer, fellow Rotarian who followed Bob Peterson representing the 85th, now 92th District. Gary is on the Rules and Reference Committee and is Vice-chair of Ways and Means.
- Gave an update on the Ohio House of Representatives.
- Term limits
- Districts: gerrymandering
- How Gary came into his position
- Committees on which he has served
- National comm. on state tax
- Streamline state sales tax
- Rest of year’s forecast - “Lame Duck” session
- He enjoys work more now
- Has concerns on upcoming House Speaker selection
- Spoke of animal rights groups’ concerns
- School funding situation
Speaker's contact information:
On our roster
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Dog Shelter will be made in their names.
Meeting was concluded by reciting the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
23rd: Shelly Graf - First Female Drum Major at OSU, requested by David Crawford
30th: Mayor Don McIlroy - The City of Circleville