Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Warren Spangler
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Scott Applegate
Song: Gary Montgomery - "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" & "Sing Rotarians"
Absentees: Beavers, Craig Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Coyan, Crawford, Crespo, Droste, Elick, Ewing, Dick Gerhardt, Gillen, Good, Grover, Halm, Hedges, Hoffman, Jack Hooks, Justinger, Lewis, Mavis, McIlroy, Chris Mullins, Radcliff, Rainey, Reynolds, Sneed, Stevens, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Vickers, Dave Webb, White, Williams, Wolfe
Make-ups: eClub One - Jim River, Eric Liggett (2)
Visiting Rotarians: None
August birthdays: 5th - Bill Stout; 10th - Gerhard Maroscher; 16th - Bud Brehmer; 23rd - Warren Spangler
August anniversaries: 3rd - Jack Hooks; 4th - Drexel Poling; 7th - Jerry Leist; 9th-Jim Hill & Ed Peters; 14th - Dan Fouts; 18th - Tom Tootle; 19th - Bob Sneed; 26th - Bob Tootle; 27th - Scott Applegate
September birthdays: 3rd-Heidi White; 4th-Jim Hooks; 5th-Dale Delong; 6th-Harry Canfield; 14th-Dwight Radcliff; 21st-Dan Fouts; 27th-Jessica Mullins
September anniversaries: 6th-Ty Ankrom; 13th-Clark Cellio, Gary Gillen; 14th: Chris & Jessica Mullins; 15th-Ellery Elick; 17th-Angela Beavers; 21st-Dan Dailey; 23rd-Todd Stevens; 30th-Dave Webb
Happy Dollars: Ty Ankrom announced he now has a fourth grandson. (Congrats Grandpa Ty!)
Student guests: None, due to summer break
Lottery: Ian Webb received the weekly drawing of $14, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $300.
Pres. Gary: Read a thank-you card from Teen Task Force for our donation
Gary Montgomery: 08/28/17 is the next Community Kitchen event; food prep is from 3pm-5pm, with serving of food at 5pm; at Presbyterian Church.
- Via e-mail: Registration is now open for our Rotary International District 6690 Four Point Seminar. It will be on 09/23/17 (Saturday) at Zane State College in Zanesville, Ohio. More information can be found at Rotary District 6690's FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/rotary6690/
SAA: Beth Kowalski
* Amy Elsea: for admitting after-the-fact to how she didn't get fined last week due her daughter's sports accomplishment, so she got caught this time.
*Mike Pelcic: offered to paid Amy Elsea & Carly Neff's fine for being in the newspaper.
*Judy Wolford: paid for Jayme's fine for Jayme being mentioned in paper
*Gerhard Marosher: for an upcoming book signing event.
Intro: Jonathan Davis
Speaker(s): Randy Hageman, Athletic Director of Teays Valley School, and Coach Webber, Head Coach of TVHS Football program.
- Randy's portion:
- 330 student athlete participating in the Fall.
- Most of their sports have both Varsity & Junior Varsity teams, with some even being divided according to grade levels.
- Listed off all of the teams in all of the seasons, including wrestling & swimming teams.
- Shared the successes so far of their golf, tennis, & soccer teams. Volleyball & Cross Country will start their seasons officially within a few days.
- Extended an invitation to everyone to come to any of TV's events
- At the State Championship, TVHS won a runner-up place via the girls softball team
- TVHS is Division II in Football, all others sports are Division I
- Coach Webber:
- 4th season as head coach
- 2 league championships, and several other accomplishments
- Explained why football is important, and shared the story of a close-call injury to one of their football players (severed spleen). He shared how football can build a base of "toughness", both mentally & physically, that helps the boys survive & thrive in their adult lives
- Builds a wonderful sense of team unity, and team work
- He feels the risk of injury is well worth the reward "of building (boys into) men."
- Have 17 seniors this year; had 12 last year. Important to have a large group of seniors since they are the best team leaders.
- Needs at least 11 "warriors," but prefers 30. They currently have 80 total in the program.
- He explained how he requires his players to wear only TV sport shirts during school hours or events, not allowed OSU or any other teams.
- Named the three captains this season, and the fourth captain is "rotated" throughout the season. They are chosen by the players themselves.
- Revealed who he feels will be their toughest competition this season.
- Explained how they are looking into using flak jackets for all players instead of just back plates, which is what the aforementioned injured player was wearing.
- TV's "Youth league is very good & looking solid."
- Top-of-the-line helmets now cost around $425 each, and TVHS invests in those as well as the best mouth guards, pads, etc.
- Focus on the best level of training to help strengthen the players to help lessen the injuries.
- Discussed concussion injuries and risks. He said that he tells his players "to keep their heads out" to avoid injuries. Your head is only 10% of your body mass, so you don't need to use it physically.
Pres. Gary concluded by asking everyone "to bring a friend" to next week's meeting.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
August program schedule (All sports-themed, primarily football):
31st - Westfall
September program schedule
7th - David Crawford & Norm Wilson, on their beekeeping experiences
14th - Mary Jane Dean & Stan Summers, about their trip to the Atlanta International Rotary Convention
21st - Our Rotary Club Outing at Cook's Creek
28th - Rotary District Govenor
October program schedule
5th - Project Ohio: about Ohio's co-op electric companies' employee' work in Nicaragua
12th - New Hope school update
19th - PUMPKIN SHOW - See you at the Rotary Big Wheel Race at 12:30PM
26th - Ellery will give us a photo tour of the Pickaway County Courthouse