Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Jonathan Davis, with a moment of silence for Charlie Hedges for the passing of his father, Jasper "Doc" Hedges.
Piano: Ellery Elick
Intros: Chris Mullins
Song: Gary Montgomery - "Clementine" & "Vive Le Rotary" & OSU Fight Song, in honor of their upcoming game.
Absentees: Craig Brown, Joe Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Coyan, Crawford, Crespo, Dailey, Droste, Elsea, Ewing, Gerhardt, Halm, Jack Hooks, Jim Hooks, Lewis, Mabe, Mavis, Neff, Palm, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Reynolds, Scherer, Sigmon, Stevens, Stout, Throckmorton, Bob Tootle, Vickers, Ian Webb, Wolfe, Yaniga
Make-ups: eClub One - Charlie Hedges, Eric Liggett
Visiting Rotarians: Connie Henderson, Asst. District Governor; Sunrise - Rick Rawlings
Guests: Brian Nelson, by Drexel Poling
August birthdays: 5th - Bill Stout; 10th - Gerhard Maroscher; 16th - Bud Brehmer; 23rd - Warren Spangler
August anniversaries: 3rd - Jack Hooks; 4th - Drexel Poling; 7th - Jerry Leist; 9th-Jim Hill & Ed Peters; 14th - Dan Fouts; 18th - Tom Tootle; 19th - Bob Sneed; 26th - Bob Tootle; 27th - Scott Applegate
September birthdays: 3rd-Heidi White; 4th-Jim Hooks; 5th-Dale Delong; 6th-Harry Canfield; 14th-Dwight Radcliff; 21st-Dan Fouts; 27th-Jessica Mullins
September anniversaries: 6th-Ty Ankrom; 13th-Clark Cellio, Gary Gillen; 14th: Chris & Jessica Mullins; 15th-Ellery Elick; 17th-Angela Beavers; 21st-Dan Dailey; 23rd-Todd Stevens; 30th-Dave Webb
Happy Dollars: Bob Sneed for his 50 years of wedded bliss.
Student guests: Jonathan Davis introduced two students, Logan Wolfe & Adrianna Harlan
Lottery: Sister Monica received the weekly drawing of $15, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $329.
- Pres. Gary: Today is National Matchmaker Day & Nation Trail Mix Day; read a thank-you note from American Legion for our donation towards their community fireworks display. They are asking for us to contribute again for next year's display. He also read a thank-you note from the Dictionary Project.
- Gary Montgomery: Thank you to the volunteers who helped at the recent Community Kitchen event. They served 40 meals. An additional note that Alice Harker's husband Tom (aka The Ukulele Man) has passed. Alice is the key person from the Presbyterian Church with whom our club works for the event. Please keep their family in your prayers, and sing a little song in memory of Tom! (Editor's Note: I had Tom as a teacher in junior high, and he was definitely talented at keeping things lively and spurring free thought/healthy debate on all topics. May your ukulele strings never break in heaven, Mr. Harker!)
- Matt Tootle: Our club's 20th Annual Rotary Golf Scramble will be on 09/21/17 at Cooks Creek Golf Club. For more info, please contact Matt Tootle: #740-474-6021 or email@example.com.
Connie Hendren, Asst. District Governor: Registration is now open for our Rotary International District 6690 Four Point Seminar. It will be on 09/23/17 (Saturday) at Zane State College in Zanesville, Ohio. More information can be found at Rotary District 6690's FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/rotary6690/
- Debbie Hoffman: The next Rotary After Hours Gathering will be on 09/13/17 at Watt St Tavern from 5-8PM. They are still in need of sponsors from our club (one at $100, or two at $50/sponsor).
- Jessica Mullins: The Savings Bank is hosting a Retirement Open House for Steve Gary. It is set for 09/15/17, from 11AM - 3PM, 201 N. Court St, 3rd floor of the new Operations Center. Everyone is invited to stop by and help celebrate Steve's 38 years with The Savings Bank.
- Bob McCrady: Passing around the sign-up sheet for our Rotary Pumpkin Show booth
- Beth Kowalski: Pickaway & Hocking County CASA programs are holding a fundraiser on 09/14/17, from 5-8pm at Rhoads Garden Center. There will be an auction, 50/50 raffle, music, cash bar, & food provided by Richie's New York Corner Deli. Tickets are $15/person, & are tax deductible.
SAA: Beth Kowalski
* Ned Riegel: for razzing the SAA.
* Chris Mullins: his "lengthy" interview in the newspaper
* Three school district's superintendents featured in a newspaper photo with the new canines & officers of the Pickaway County Sheriff's K-9 unit.
* Those affiliated with OCU, due to the recent newspaper article
* Beth fined some members that she hadn't fined yet this month.
* Performed a game based on the recent list of "The Most Famous People (Other Than Ted Lewis) from Circleville.
Intro: Jonathan Davis
Speaker(s): Trevor Thomas, Athletic Director forWestfall School District, & Head Coach Trent Olds, of WHS Football program.
- Trevor's portion:
- Spoke of the district's challenge due to its "remote" location
- 400 students participating in sports
- 500 students total enrolled in WHS.
- Explained how many valuable learn
- "Most important job is to serve the community." Shared how they started the "Westfall Cares" program, which packs food in backpacks for needy students
- Trent's portion:
- Thanked all the Rotarians & school administrators "for all you do for the community."
- Shared what brought him to our community, one reason being to be close to his father who had terminal cancer.
- Started the program with only 36, now they are at 50 players.
- He full-time position is as a 3rd grade Intervention Specialist
- Gave a brief history of his career path, & how it lead to his current role.
- He's in his 2nd year as Head Football Coach.
- Shared how he believes strongly in surrounding his players with strong, positive male figures and family bonding.
- "One heartbeat" is their team's slogan of unity
- He follows the E+R=O school of thought.
Speaker's Contact information:
Pres. Gary concluded by asking everyone "to bring a friend" to next week's meeting.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
September program schedule
7th - David Crawford & Norm Wilson, on their beekeeping experiences
14th - Mary Jane Dean & Stan Summers, about their trip to the Atlanta International Rotary Convention
21st - Our Rotary Club Outing at Cook's Creek
28th - Rotary District Govenor
October program schedule
5th - Project Ohio: about Ohio's co-op electric companies' employee' work in Nicaragua
12th - New Hope school update
19th - PUMPKIN SHOW - See you at the Rotary Big Wheel Race at 12:30PM
26th - Ellery will give us a photo tour of the Pickaway County Courthouse