Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Walt Spangler
Piano: Ellery Elick
Intros: Bob Johnson
Song: Amy Elsea- "Happy Birthday" to Ty Ankrom; "If You're Happy & You Know It" & "Roll Rotary"
Absentees: Craig Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Tony Chamberlain, Crawford, Crespo, Dailey, Davis, Ewing, Gillen, Good, Halm, Hedges, Jack Hooks, Jim Hooks, Justinger, Kowalski, Lewis, Mavis, Pelcic, Radcliff, Reynolds, Scherer, Sigmon, Stevens, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Vickers, Ian Webb, Wilson, Wolfe, Yaniga
September attendance (as per Drexel): 83.45%, "Highest this Rotary year."
Visiting Rotarians: Sunrise - Rich Elsea
New membership proposal: Curtis Christopher submitted his request for membership approval. Curtis is the owner of Affinity Apartment Communities - Michelle Properties. Please contact Drexel Poling if you have questions/comments regarding this membership proposal.
October birthdays: 4th - Eric Liggett; 5th - Charley Gerhardt; 7th - Bob Sneed; 9th - Mark Taylor; 12th. - Ty Ankrom; 13th - Charlie Hedges; 19th - Bill Richards; 22nd - Drexel Poling; 27th - Don Metzler; 28th - Dick Fullen;
October anniversaries:6th - Norm Wilson; 9th - Gary Scherer; 20th - Earl Palm; 26th - Dick Patrick
Happy Dollars: None
Student guests: Nate Smith, Principal of Logan Elm High School, introduced two students, Braya Elsea & Keiffer Mosmier.
Lottery: Ty Ankrom received the weekly drawing of $12, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $403.
- Pres. Gary: Read a thank-you card from the 4-H organization for our donations.
- Dan Fouts: Tonight at 7pm at St. Phillips Episcapol Church will be hosting a concert, of which one of the members may or may not be married to Dan. ;-)
- Jim River: Will start collecting for Wreaths Across America in two weeks. They are $15/each or 3 wreaths for $30. Goal is to have a wreath for every soldier's grave.
- Bob Liggett: Pumpkin Picking Party at his home at 5PM on Tuesday.
- Chris Mullins: Still need volunteers for our club's booth during Pumpkin Show. Contact Bob McCrady or Chris Mullins for details.
- For those members who can't attend or help during the Show, Amy Elsea is selling tickets for a piece of pumpkin pie &/or pumpkin ice cream from our Rotary booth
- Rotary Big Wheel "Formula 45" Race (named for the 4-5 yr old participants, lol!) on the Thursday of Pumpkin Show. Still needs volunteers, so please show up by 1PM.
- Our Rotary's next Community Kitchen event will be on 10/25/17, at The Presbyterian Church. Food prep begins at 3 PM, with food served at 5PM.
- Via flyer:
- Chillicothe Rotary is having their Centennial Celebration on 11/17/17 at 6:30PM at the Christopher Conference Center in Chillicothe. Special guest will be Ian H.S. Riseley, who is our Rotary International President. Reservations can be made on-line at www.Eventbrite.com
SAA: Ellery Elick
* All October birthdays
* All October Anniversaries
* Dick Gerhardt: for his wife, Marie, being in the newspaper photo for Haven House.
* Mayor Don McIlroy: numerous items, so gave him a batch fine; one he passed on to Jean Droste.
* Ty Ankrom: for his two articles in the newspaper
* Tim Williams: batch fine for numerous items
* All Circleville Alumni Association for raffling this Friday tickets for Hot Air Balloon rides.
* Ellery Elick: fined himself for being incorrectly listed as our Rotary club's president in the Herald.
* Savings Bank: in the newspapers for being a sponsor for a community event.
* Read some comical excerpts from the Police Report.
Intro: Richard Coyan
Speaker(s): Jamie King, the new Director of New Hope Christian Academy (NHCA). He is a "long time resident of Circleville," and a graduate of Logan Elm High School. His home is blessed with his wife and three children. They occasionally have a foster child placed into their home. They attend Brookside Church in Chillicothe, where they are involved in leading community outreach opportunities. Jamie also holds a pastoral counsel certificate from the denomination.
He attended Wright State University. For undergraduate work in Early Childhood Education, the University of Rio Grande for his graduate work as a K-12 Intervention Specialist, and OSU for his Master's in Educational Administration.
This is the start of his 15th year in education, consisting of seven years of teaching and seven years in administering in public education. During that time, he had the privilege of working with some amazing, talented, and passionate educators.
- Introduced two students: Issac Reese & Darren Buskirk
- The students shared some of their experiences at New Hope, and how it is preparing them for future success in academics and in life.
- Spoke of how their religion-based education and faith has given them the strength to tackle the challenges ahead of them.
- They participate in the Post-Secondary College Credit program via OCU.
- Jamie regained the podium, and told a bit more about himself, his past career experiences & qualifications, and what brought him to New Hope.
- Explained that he had been working within the Chillicothe School system, and how when he left there, he "swore I'd never go back into education again." New Hope changed his mind.
- Mentioned the Capstone Program, & mission trips; most recently looking to partner with Makairos organization.
- Told us how important the chapel times and faith discussions are to their school.
- NHCA is reaching out to the community and to the other county schools for partnerships.
- Revealed that he feels "like a proud father, who could show lots of photos of all the great things our kids do."
- Explained how "job titles are important." The job description is to rise up to be leaders of faith for the community and other students.
- He tells the students, "If you don't know Christ, you've missed the mark."
Speaker's contact information:
None provided, but Richard Coyan is on our Membership Directory
In appreciation of this year's speakers donating their time & efforts, donations to the Rotary Foundation will be made in their names.
Pres. Gary concluded by reciting the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
October program schedule
19th - PUMPKIN SHOW - See you at the Rotary Big Wheel Race at 12:30PM
26th - Ellery will give us a photo tour of the Pickaway County Courthouse
November program schedule:
2nd: Amy Robinson- PICCA - Community Service
9th: Craig Truax - Mid-Ohio Food Bank
16th: Darlene Weaver - Library facilities & experience
23rd: THANKSGIVING - No meeting (Enjoy the time with your loved ones.)
30th: Gerhard Maroscher & Jennifer Bahney - Self-publishing