Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Harry Canfield
Piano: Ellery Elick. (Subbing for Don Metzler, who had surgery recently)
Intros: Bob Johnson
Song: Heidi White- "If You're Happy and You Know It" & "Sing Rotarians"
Absentees: Craig Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Crawford, Davis, Dan Delong, Elsea, Ewing, Fouts, Gilles, Grover, Halm, Hoffman, Jack Hooks, Mabe, Mavis, McNemar, Metzler, Moss, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Reynolds, Scherer, Sigmon, Walt Spangler, Warren Spangler, Stevens, Stout, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Bob Tootle, Vickers, Williams, Wolfe, Yaniga
Make-ups: Sunrise - Mike Pelcic
Visiting Rotarians: Sunrise - Rick Rawlins & Richard Rhoades
Guests: Jessica Calder, by Carly Neff; Joel Eshala, by Bob Sneed
New membership proposal: Curtis Christopher submitted his request for membership approval. Curtis is the owner of Affinity Apartment Communities - Michelle Properties. Please contact Drexel Poling if you have questions/comments regarding this membership proposal.
November birthdays: 5th - Monica Justinger; 8th - Jonathan Davis; 10th - Amy Elsea; 25th - Dick Gerhardt; 27th - Don Metzler;
November anniversaries: 23rd - Dick Fullen, Heidi White; 25th - Ned Schreiner; 26th - Mark Taylor; 27th - Amy Elsea
Happy Dollars: None
Student guests: Brooke Wright, Guidance Counselor at Teays Valley High School, introduced two students, Kennedy Coey & Elliot O'Malley.
Lottery: Jim Hooks received the weekly drawing of $14, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $431.
- Charlie Hedges: Presented an honorary Paul Harris Award to Cody Lewis.
- Erika Konowalow: Pickaway-Ross CTC's Career Tech Kids Day will be on 11/18/17, from 9AM to 12:30PM, at PRCTC (895 Crouse Chapel Rd, Chillicothe). This is a FREE half-day career camp for kids in grades 2-8. Participants will be served lunch, and take-aways & prizes will be be awarded. To register: www.pickawayross.com, or www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e44a9ad2fa5f49-career1, or call 740-642-1231.
- Gary Montgomery: Thanked the volunteers for the most recent Community Kitchen event, with a special thank you to Carly Neff for the donation of two roasters of chicken.
- Dick Gerhardt: PCCF & Touched by Cancer will be holding a Sporting Clay Event fundraiser tomorrow at The Shannon's farm (15480 London Rd); starts at noon. Contact Dick or PCCF(740-477-6207) for details.
- Jim River: Collecting now for Wreaths Across America. They are $15/each or 3 wreaths for $30. Goal is to have a wreath for every soldier's grave for the holiday season. The Monday after Thanksgiving is the cut-off date for orders/donations.
- Jean Droste (& Gary Sharp): Request for donations to the Rotary club in Anguilla, to help with disaster assistance. Checks are to be made out to Rotary Club, with "Anguilla" written in the memo. Donations are tax-deductible.
- Reminder about the Rotary 125 Club program. See the flyers by the name badge box, or on the Rotary website for details.
- Via flyer:
- Chillicothe Rotary is having their Centennial Celebration on 11/17/17 at 6:30PM at the Christopher Conference Center in Chillicothe. Special guest will be Ian H.S. Riseley, who is our Rotary International President. Reservations can be made on-line at www.Eventbrite.com
- PICCA's "Coats for Kids" program will be collecting new coats, hats, & gloves from Nov. 6th - 23rd for teens & children.
SAA: Tom Tootle
* Fined all November birthdays & anniversaries
* Quiz on 3 favorite & least favorite Halloween candies.
* Trivia quiz on various Halloween items
Intro: Bob Liggett
Speaker(s): Amy Robinson, Community Services Director of PICCA.
- Spoke of PICCA's residential energy services assistance program
- Discussed their Homeless Assistance program. They have an average of one homeless family per day come to their attention.
- Average age of a homeless person is 9 years old!
- PRC program: Financial assistance program that helps to pay rent, etc.
- Free Produce program: twice a month they hand out free produce, at locations all around Pickaway County. Via their partnership with Mid-Ohio Food Bank, they are able serve over 10,000 people. The majority of the people served are senior citizens.
- Pointed out the flyers for the upcoming Turkey Trot 5k Run/Walk, which is a fundraiser for PICCA. 100% of proceeds come back to PICCA. It will be on 11/23/17 @ 9AM at St. Phillip's Church (129 W Mound St.). Register at: allsportsraces.redpodium.com
- PICCA will be holding a canned food drive.
- Mentioned the Toys for Tots program. The Annual Chili Cook-off is the biggest fundraiser for this program.
- Shared a story of how PICCA helped an 87-year old woman get an air conditioner in 90+ degree weather this past summer.
- PICCA is also offering to cover the job application/screening fees for employers that are looking for employees , such as Sofidel is currently doing.
- Explained how it can be frustrating when working with Federal funds, and all of the Federal guidelines & restrictions.
- PICCA (in partnership with HUD) performs an annual Count of the Homeless every January.
- Mentioned the Community Assessment survey for Pickaway, and how they are compiling the data now.
- Many people don't realize how homelessness & poverty affect every aspect of our community. No one is untouched by this issue.
- Explained how there are different food pantry efforts in Pickaway; PICCA works with all of these efforts.
Speaker's contact information:
469 E. Ohio St
Circleville, OH 43113
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Rotary Foundation will be made in their names.
Pres. Gary concluded by reciting the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
November program schedule:
9th: Craig Truax - Mid-Ohio Food Bank
16th: Darlene Weaver - Library facilities & experience
23rd: THANKSGIVING - No meeting (Enjoy the time with your loved ones!)
30th: Gerhard Maroscher & Jennifer Bahney - Self-publishing