(Editor's Note: There are no notes for the 11/16/17 meeting)
Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Tad Grover
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Chris Mullins
Song: Heidi White- "Hark, The Herald Angels Sing" & "Joy to the World"
(For 11/16/17): Ankrom, Applegate, Beavers, Connie Chamberlain, Crawford, Crespo, Dailey, Dean, Dan Delong, Droste, Elick, Ewing, Gerhardt, Good, Halm, Jack Hooks, Justinger, Mavis, McIlroy, McNemar, Moss, Chris Mullins, Jessica Mullins, Neff, Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Reynolds, Rothe, Scherer, Stevens, Throckmorton, Bob Tootle, Matt Tootle, Vickers, White, Williams, Wolfe, Wolford
(For 11/30/17):Applegate, Craig Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Tony Chamberlain, Christopher, Davis, Droste, Elsea, Ewing, Fountain, Gerhardt, Halm, Jack Hooks, Justinger, Kowalski, Lewis, Eric Liggett, Bob Liggett, Mavis, McIlroy, McNemar, Moss, Neff, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Reynolds, Scherer, Sigmon, Walt Spangler, Stevens, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Vickers, Dave Webb, Ian Webb, Williams, Wolfe, Wolford, Yaniga
Visiting Rotarians: (For 11/16/17) Sunrise - Richard Rhoades; (For 11/30/17) Sunrise - Erika Konowalow & Rich Elsea
Guests: (For 11/16/17) John Ellis, by Earl Palm; Mollie Hedges, by Charlie Hedges; Owen Nin, by Debbie Hoffman. (For 11/30/17) John Ellis, by Earl Palm; Carrie Augenstein, by Dolly Cespo
Membership proposal: Dr. John Ellis submitted his request for membership. John is the Pickaway County Coroner, and resides in Circleville. He is sponsored by Earl Palm. Please direct any inquires/comments regarding this membership proposal to Drexel Poling.
November birthdays: 5th - Monica Justinger; 8th - Jonathan Davis; 10th - Amy Elsea; 25th - Dick Gerhardt; 27th - Don Metzler
December birthdays: 12th - Judy Wolford
November anniversaries: 23rd - Dick Fullen, Heidi White; 25th - Ned Schreiner; 26th - Mark Taylor; 27th - Amy Elsea
December anniversaries: 4th - Craig Brown; 9th - Vince Yaniga; 17th - Bob McCrady; 20th - Charlie Hedges; 21st - Dwight Radcliff
Happy Dollars: None
(For 11/16/17): Jonathan Davis, Superintendent of Circleville City School District, introduced two students Andrew Pohl & Kaylee Imler.
(For 11/30/17): Dan Hugus, Principal of Logan Elm High School, introduced two students, Shelby Ward & Tyler Hixon
Lottery: (for 11/16/17) Debbie Hoffman won $9; (For 11/30/17) Heidi White received $10, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $463.
- Gary Montgomery: "Christmas at Mt Oval" on 12/10/17 from 2-4:30PM; an afternoon of holiday treats, punch, & famous hot cider. There will be several musical guests. Tickets in advance: Adults $10/Students $5; at the door: Adults $13/Students $6. For tickets, call PCHS (740-474-1495) or Pickaway County Visitors Bureau (740-474-3636).
- Jim River: Thanked all who donated to the Wreaths Across America. They were able to purchase 1,168 wreaths.
- Bob Sneed: Thanked those who volunteered at the recent Community Kitchen.
- Bill Stout: Thanked those who donated to the Rotary club in Anguilla, to help with disaster assistance. They raised over $7,000.
SAA: Tom Tootle
- Gary Dean: for his "self-advertising."
- Norm Wilson: for son Tim being in the newspaper
- Dick Gerhardt: for Marie's photo being in the newspaper
- Ellery Elick: for being elected to the Treasurer position in an organization (couldn't hear which group).
- Quizzed us on the Rotarian magazine's recent issue, as well as local trivia
Intro: Gerhard Maroscher, introduced Jennifer Bowers Bahney as the first speaker, as well as himself as the second speaker.
Speaker(s): Jennifer Bowers Bahney & Gerhard Maroscher, both spoke about getting their books published.
- Shared a brief history of the creation of her first novel, Stealing Sissi's Star , and how she even had the opportunity to interview the actual thief.
- Explained the process of "querying" publishers, which is basically contacting publishers to request that they publish your book.
- She gave some hints of how to go about finding a publisher:
- Know your genre
- Know what type of publisher you are desiring. For example, will they accept submissions from "little people."
- McFarland Publishers is with whom she went.
- Stated how it is like applying for a college, "Only give them what they want." If they ask for a letter & synopsis, then only send them that and not a whole transcript.
- Next, smaller scale publishers will not provide an advance. She is paid only 8% of the royalties.
- She receives "a little royalty check" every six months.
- Her book was a finalist for a prestigious award, which she said was surprising.
- She was also contacted by Hollywood in regards to possibly creating a script for a movie. Nothing has happened yet, but she has her fingers crossed.
- Explained what the steps of the actual publishing process are.
- She has "to push (her) book" herself since the publisher does not have a marketing department.
- She was recently asked by her publisher to write a book about Ruth Bader Ginsberg, but admitted "now I just have to find the time."
- Her books are sold mostly via Amazon.com & McFarland.com
Gerhard stepped up to the podium next, to talk about self-publishing.
- Anyone can self-publish. It is fairly easy to do, but you will find out that "you have to do everything yourself."
- There are numerous companies that offer services for the different steps in the process, all for a fee of course.
- Why would one want to self-publish? Perhaps because no one is currently interested in (publishing) your book, or because you want complete control over your book.
- Shared some of the different fees schedules involved in self-publishing
- Explained the different printing options available, such as "short run printing."
- Marketing is a vital piece of the process. "It is the Achilles' heel of self-publishing."
- Success for a self-publishing author is defined on their own terms.
- He also has won an award.
- Has 6 books currently published, one of which is his memoir.
Speaker's contact information:
None provided, but Jennifer can be found at The Circleville Herald, since she serves as its Editor. Gerhard is a fellow Rotarian, and can be found in our club's Membership Directory.
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Rotary Foundation will be made in their names.
Pres. Gary concluded by reciting the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
7th: Chris Mullins & Bob McCrady - a wrap-up of the Pumpkin Show Booth, and serve either pumpkin ice cream or pumpkin ice cream float
14th: Pastor Ethan Allen - Disaster relief
21st: The musical trio of Drexel, Esther, & Don will perform Christmas music for us
28th: NO MEETING - Enjoy the holiday season with those you love!