Presiding: Pres. Gary Dean
Prayer: Vince Yaniga
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Ty Ankrom
Song: Dolly Crespo- "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" & "O Come, All Ye Faithful"
Absentees: Applegate, Craig Brown, Canfield, Coyan, Dailey, Davis, Elick, Ewing, Fouts, Good, Grover, Halm, Jack Hooks, Lewis, Maroscher, Mavis, McIlroy, Palm, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Reynolds, Scherer, Sigmon, Walt Spangler, Warren Spangler, Stevens, Stout, Throckmorton, Matt Tootle, Vickers, White, Williams, Wolfe
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Bonnie Vallett, by Monica Justinger
December birthdays: 12th - Judy Wolford
December anniversaries: 4th - Craig Brown; 9th - Vince Yaniga; 17th - Bob McCrady; 20th - Charlie Hedges; 21st - Dwight Radcliff
Happy Dollars: None
Student guests: Andrea Brown, School Counselor for Westfall High School, introduced Holden Edmonds & MacKenzie Blue.
Lottery: Jim Hooks won the weekly drawing of $13, but did not draw the golden bean. The jackpot is now $488.
- Carly Neff: She passed out flyers on our annual Rotary Scholarship Holiday plant sale fundraiser. There are two sizes of Poinsettias, a Holiday Porch Pot, or Rhoads gift cards. Orders are due by 12/18/17. You can contact Carly at : #(740) 404-5698 or email@example.com
- Jayme Fountain: Explained about how the Rotary Exchange program has been revived via Rotary International. She shared that a team from Mongolia will be coming to USA in January. Jayme is planning an event to host the Mongolian group on 01/12/18. She will give more details as they are verified. There is also a Rotary Exchange student group being formed to go to Taiwan.
- Gary Montgomery: Gave a PSA regarding the upcoming bad weather & the need to travel safely & wisely. Please check your automobiles' condition, & especially the tires!
- Pres. Gary presented a $500 check to Heather Foll on behalf of Pickaway County Special Olympics.
- Special visit from Santa Claus!! Who looked suspiciously like Vince Yaniga, but I'm sure that was just a coincidence.
- Pres. Gary presented pins to those who donated to the Rotary 125 Club over this past Rotary year.
SAA: Debbie Hoffman
- "R.O.A. R." (Rat Out A Rotarian)
- Gary Montgomery: for missing last week's meeting
- Dave Webb: for wanting to be fined more
- Ian Webb: for his shifting office hours
- Went table-by-table to quiz on random items
Intro: Jessica Mullins introduced Ethan Allen. Ethan is the Administrative Pastor at Crossroads Church in Circleville, overseeing areas such as Safety & Communications. Previously, he served as their Communication Pastor for 2 1/2 years.
He grew up in Cincinnati, and graduated from OCU with a BA in Disaster Management. In February 2018, Ethan ill graduate with his Master's in Management.
Speaker(s): Ethan Allen, spoke about Hurricane Irma disaster relief efforts. He recently spent two weeks in Fort Myers, Florida as the Safety Officer for the Salvation Army's effort following that hurricane.
- Spoke of how he just finished reading the book "Power of Attitude," and how it has changed his outlook on life.
- Explained how his former teacher, Thad Hicks, reached out to him to see if Ethan would help the recovery efforts after Hurricane Irma.
- His travel was pushed up from several days worth of notice to leaving immediately.
- Shared the details of his travel challenges, and how he had to do a lot of last minute revisions & flying by the seat of his pants, as the saying goes.
- He admitted that he is "a planning guy" and how he is used to being in control of the details & situation.
- Revealed how the work he did there with Salvation Army truly "humbled" him.
- Resources were so scarce this year because there were many events that required disaster relief efforts.
Speaker's contact information:
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Rotary Foundation will be made in their names.
Pres. Gary concluded by asking us to recite the Rotary 4-Way Test.
Until next week...
Rotary Newsletter Editor
21st: The musical trio of Drexel, Esther, & Don will perform Christmas music for us
28th: NO MEETING - Enjoy the holiday season with those you love!
4th: Matt Finks - Buckeye Fever football commentator
11th: Jerry Newman - Scioto Post
18th: Ray Stein - Columbus Dispatch Sports Editor
25th: Bob Haven - "What the next automobile you buy will be like"