By: Patty Rothe, Rotary Newsletter Editor;Patty.FourJ@gmail.com
(Editor's request: Please remember to jot down your announcements & give them to me. A simple hand-written note or an e-mail in advance would work well. Thank you!)
Presiding: Pres. Ian Webb
Prayer: Tad Grover
Piano: None, Don Metzler had to leave early
Intros: Warner Searls
Song: None, due to having no piano player
Absentees: Craig Brown, Canfield, Christopher, Coyan, Davis, Dean, Droste, Elick, Elsea, Ewing, Fountain, Gerhardt, Irwin, Adam Johnson, Justinger, Kowalski, Eric Liggett, Mabe, Mavis, McIlroy, Chris Mullins, Jessica Mullins, Neff, Palm, Dwight Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Scherer, Sigmon, Stevens, Bob Tootle, Matt Tootle, Vallette, White, Wilson, Wolfe, Yaniga
Make ups: None
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Simon Roderick, by John Ellis
June birthdays: 18-Gary Scherer, Rick Rawlins; 22-Beth Kowalski; 24- Bob Johnson
June anniversaries:5-Gary Dean; 7-Wayne Vickers; 10-Bob Liggett; 11-Jonathan Davis; 21-Dick Gerhardt, Fred Mavis; 24-Jim Hooks; 29-Patty Rothe
Happy Dollars: Ned Riegel, for it not raining...at the moment.
New member: Rob Radcliff was inducted into our club last week. Rob is the Sheriff of Pickaway County, and a life-long resident of Pickaway as well. Rob is/has been involved in Circleville Jaycees (Pres., Regional Director, & JCI Senator), Circleville Youth Soccer (Pres.), & Buckeye State Sheriff (District Director). He and his wife, Dodie, are members of Trinity Lutheran Church. Welcome aboard Rob!!
Student Guests: None, due to school year ending now.
Lottery: Debbie Hoffman was this week's winner of $12, but the golden pebble remained hidden. The jackpot is now $464.
- Soup Kitchen is next Monday, 06/24/19, at the Presbyterian Church. Volunteers are always welcome!
- David Crawford sent a note about how Pres. Ian put together a "very successful" new member orientation last week, that was attended by new memebers as well as some existing members.
- Via e-mail:
- Incoming District Governor, Gary Vaughan, has extended an invitation to all Rotarians to attend his induction celebration tonigt, 06/21/19, at 6PM at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 555 North St., Columbus.
- Gary Vaughan sent a notice that the 2020 Rotary International Convention will be in Honolulu, Hawaii, from June 6th-10th, 2020. He explained that interest has been high, so registration may need to be closed once a certain number is met. So don't delay in making your registration! Link is: www.riconvention.org
SAA: Bob Sneed, in a Burger King crown!
- Fined all June birthdays & anniversaries
- Fined for all sorts of National (fill-in-the-blank) Day
- Bob Sneed: Passed around flyers for Ohio Cobra Club's raffle. Deadline to order tickets on-line is tomorrow. Raffle is to raise funds for Cystic Fibrosis. Link for tickets: www.LondonCobraShow.com/tickets
- Conducted a trivia quiz on Summer Solstice.
Program: Heather Foll introduced today's speaker, David Fausnaugh. David is the Director of the Pickaway County Library, as well as a member of the Sunrise Rotary Club. He is speaking about the Dolly Parton Imagination Library (DPIL) program.
- Founded by Dolly Parton, due to her personal experience with poverty throughout her childhood.
- Dolly realized that one of ways to break the cycle of poverty is by learning how to read & write.
- It is now an international program
- Recently started in Pickaway County, via the Pickaway County Library.
- Gives each child in our county one book per month, at no charge, from birth to age of five years old. Each books costs the program about $3 per book.
- Program works through both County Library & PICCA
- Our Rotary Club is one of the sponsors. We gave a $1,000 donation this year, and pledged $1,000 next year.
- Every child can be enrolled at birth, via on-line. County Library or PICCCA can help parents enroll their children.
- Some of the books even come with an instructional plan to encourage the parent/guardian to interact.
- Stressed how important pre-literacy skills are to those who are not able to read yet.
- Link to a YouTube video on DPIL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNoqS6AccA
Speaker's contact info:
Pickaway County Library
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Dog Shelter will be made in their names.
27th: Changing of the Guard
4th: NO MEETING - Happy 4th of July!
11th: Brian Stewart, Pickaway County Commissioner
18th: Sheree Reray, Chief Warden of the Pickaway County Dog Shelter
25th: Debbie Rydinski, Applied Therapy Co., regarding massage therapy
1st: Dr. Christopher Hoch, OSU Marching Band Director
8th: Brandon Smith, CEO/Producer, Tecumseh
15th: Dr. Rustin Moore, Dean of OSU College of Vet Medicine -"The Power of Pets"
22nd: Ann Culek, Slate Run Living Historical Farm
29th: Dr. Jon Kulaga, President of OCU