By: Patty Rothe,
Rotary Newsletter Editor
(Editor's request: Please remember to jot down your announcements & give them to me. A simple hand-written note is fine. Otherwise, I may not hear your details &/or miss it entirely. It's hard to hear sometimes during our meetings. Thank you in advance!)
Presiding: Pres. Ian Webb
Prayer: Sam Shapiro
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Gary Dean
Song: Chris Mullins - "O Come, All Ye Faithful" & "Somersetshire Wassail"
Absentees: Canfield, Tony Chamberlain, Christopher, Coyan, Dailey, Davis, Elick, Ellis, Elsea, Ewing, Foll, Gerhardt, Hoffman, Irwin, Eric Liggett, Mavis, McCrady, Montgomery, Pelcic, Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Scherer, Sigmon, Stevens, Stout, Matt Tootle, Valette, Vickers, White, Yaniga
Make ups: None
Visiting Rotarians: None
Student Guests: Allison Catlos & Jamie King, of New Hope Christian Academy, introduced Jeremiah Taylor, Halley Stone, & Rebecca Hatfield
December birthdays: 12th - Judy Wolford; 13th - John Ellis
December anniversaries: 4th - Craig Brown; 9th - Vince Yaniga; 17th - Bob McCrady; 20th - Charlie Hedges; 21st - Dwight Radcliff
Happy Dollars: None
Lottery: Dave Webb was this week's winner of $15, but the golden pebble remained hidden. The jackpot is now $81.
- Update given on Bob McCrady
- Ann Rawlins, Rick Rawlins' wife, has passed after an illness.
- Mt Oval flyer: Christmas Open House on 12/09/18 from 2-4:30PM. Tickets are $10 for adults & $5 for children. Call #740-474-1495 for tickets or more details. (3601 Emerson Rd., Circleville)
- Thank-you card from Pumpkin Show candidate, thanking our club for giving the candidates root beer floats and pumpkin pie slices.
- Pumpkin Show Band on Sunday (12/09/18) at 3pm at Emmet Chapel.
- Next Saturday is also the placing the wreaths for the Wreaths Across Americaon at Forest Cemetery. We are to meet at Soldiers Glen in Forest Cemetery this Saturday, December 15, at 11:30 AM.
- Gave an update on Rotary Pumpkin Show booth's success, and the expansion of products for next year.
- Via flyer: This year the Rotary International Covention will be in Hamburg, Germany. Registration has begun, and the discount rate's deadline will be 12/15/18.
SAA: Chris Mullins, substituting for Debbie Hoffman
- Christmas trivia quiz
Program: Chris Mullins introduced Lisa Johnson, Director of Haven House. Lisa has been married to Paul Douglas Johnson since 1977, and they have three grown sons and two grandsons.
Lisa has been the Executice Director for Haven House since July 2003. Before that, she served as Emergency Services Director for PICCA for four years. Prior to PICCA, she was the Adminstrative Assistant for 13 years serving four mayors and five service directors.
- Chris Mullins presented Lisa with a donation check for $5,000 from our Rotary Noon club.
- Lisa shared a PowerPoint presentation on Haven House's recent purchase & renovation project.
- Discussed the Capital Campaign
- "Making a dream a reality!"
- Raised so far in pledges: $671,000!
- They purchased the old A&P store & Circleville Medical building
- Lisa recognized all the work that the volunteers have put in, and the donations they've received.
- Pointed out that none of us get to choose our parents, so in turn, no one should be judged on that fact.
- Spoke of how much the Sheriff, Police, & County Prosecutor's offices are involved in their organization's path & mission.
- Put 53 families into permanent housing
- Only 3 returned to their abusers
- Gave stats of how many people were protected & assisted by Haven House
- Mentioned how the new building needed a complete new roof. Materials came via funds from the Ohio Attorney General's Office
- Shared some of their construction horror stories
- The construction is almost finished; just waiting for the metal roof panels to be installed.
- Twenty vouchers are received every year from Pickaway Metropolitian Housing for sudsidized housing.
- Lisa believes that the opiod addiction is affecting many more mothers now. She also stated that she feels that the severity of the abuse has increased as well.
- She explained how many lives have been changed via Haven House. She said that sometimes it takes tough love & the occasional reminder to be grateful to those who might not appreciate the assistance that they are receiving.
- Shared some of the success stories, and the times she receives a heartfelt "thank you" from those who wre helped.
Speaker's contact information:
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Dog Shelter will be made in their names.
13th: Cynthia Braswell and the Circleville High School Choir
20th - Christmas music performed by Drexel Poling, Don Metzler, & Esther Fouts
28th - HAPPY HOLIDAYS! - No meeting
3rd - Historic preservation of theaters, by Charissa Durst
10th - US Marshals, by Deputy United States Marshal Brad Fleming
17th - AFS Foreign Exchange Student Program, by .
24th - "Are employers prepared for medical marijuana?", by Kofi Semenya
31st - 2 Tones Brewing, by Anthony McKeiver