By: Patty Rothe, Rotary Newsletter Editor;Patty.FourJ@gmail.com
(Editor's request: Please remember to jot down your announcements & give them to me. A simple hand-written note or an e-mail in advance would work well. Thank you!)
Presiding: Pres. Ian Webb
Prayer: Dan Dailey
Piano: Don Metzler
Intros: Roxan Sigmon
Song: Norm Wilson-"Hey, Look Me Over" & "Vive Le Rotary"
Absentees: Adams, Beavers, Craig Brown, Joe Brown, Connie Chamberlain, Christopher, Coyan, David Crawford, Marie Crawford, Davis, Elick, Elsea, Ewing, Foll, Gerhardt, Hedges, Irwin, Montgomery, Chris Mullins, Jessica Mullins, Radcliff, Rainey, Rawlins, Scherer, Searls, Sneed, Stevens, Matt Tootle, Vallette, Vickers, White, Yaniga
Make ups:Sunrise - Judy Wolford
Visiting Rotarians: None
Guests: Hillary & Oliver Webb, by Pres. Ian Webb.
New member inducted: NaSandra Wright, of Pickaway County Health Dept. Her sponsoring Rotarian was Don McIlroy. (Bio not received yet.)
May birthdays: 3- Ned Riegel; 11- Ned Schreiner, Connie Chamberlain; 15- Don Ritchie; 25- Dan Delong, Dave Crawford; 26- Vince Yaniga, Bob Mabe; 28- Patty Rothe; 30- Jean Droste; 31- Bob Liggett
May anniversaries: 7- Bob Johnson, Joe McNemar; 15- Curtis Christopher; 26- Roger Wolfe; 28- Richard Coyan; 29- Ned Riegel; 30- David & Marie Crawford
Happy Dollars: None
Student Guests: None
Lottery: Gary Dean was this week's winner of $12, but the golden pebble remained hidden. The jackpot is now $382.
- Pres. Ian: The next Rotary After-hours event will be 04/25/19, 4:30-6:30PM, at Shifty's. Sponsored by Keith & Elisa Peters and Diane Smith.
- Carly Neff: Last call for our Rotary Annual Spring Flower Fundraiser! Orders are being taken now through 05/04/19. Flower pick-up will be at Rhoads Garden Center. "Grab & Go" flowers will be available at the Rotary meeting on 05/03/19. For more details &/or to palce orders, contact Carly at NeffCJ@yahoo.com or call 740-404-5698.
- Beth Kowalski: Reminded us that the Pickaway County (Legal) Bar Association is hosting a ".5K Bar Run" on 05/16/19, starting at 6PM. The event begins at Shifty's Tavern and ends at Gant's Pizza & Pub. Proceeds to benefit the Pickaway County Fairgrounds.
- Reminder: Wyngate Senior Living Community is holding a fundraiser to support the Alzheimer's Association. During the month of May, treat your staff &/or loved ones on Wednesdays to homemade cinnamon rolls & Tim Horton's coffee. Place an order (12 cinnamon rolls & coffee) for $25, and Wyngate will deliver it! Contact Sister Monica for more details or to place on order at 740-497-1898 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Via e-mail
- Incoming District Governor, Gary Vaughan, has extended an invitation to all Rotarians to attend his induction celebration on 06/21/19 at 6PM at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 555 North St., Columbus.
- Gary Vaughan sent a notice that the District Training Assembly, previously scheduled for 05/18/19, has been postponed. New details to be announced.
SAA: Judy Wolford
- Don McIlroy: for winning the Republican primary race for Mayor. Congratularions Don!
- Fined those who had something to vote on, but didn't vote.
- Trivia Quiz on Mother's Day, done by tables
Program: Roxan Sigmon introduced today's speaker, Tim Colburn, President of Ohio Health Berger Hospital.
- Displayed a PowerPoint presentation
- Ohio Health (OH) is a faith-based organization that is an inclusive not-for-profit entity
- Have over 30,000 members (associates, physicians, volunteers, etc.)
- Believe strongly in servicing the community & making a commitment to the area.
- 12 OH sites, such as Riverside and Grant Hospitals.
- $393 million in community benefit in 2018 by OH
- $4.8 million in community benefit by Berger in 2017
- Spoke of their support of the Parkinson Association & Alzheimer Associations, as well as many other groups.
- Berger's partnership with OH helped Berger to earn an "A" rating in 2018.
- Berger's culture was perfectly aligned with OH's culture.
- Mentioned how Berger's employees made the transition to OH's system. As always, there were bumps but they are adjusting well.
- OH has invested $50 million in capital & infrastructure projects to Berger.
- Spoke about the creation of an Oversite Board to monitor performance.
- OH has a focus on the standard of care and efficiency.
- Tim answered a question on how OH is viewing Adena Health's competition. He explained that OH doesn't truly view them as such due to OH being so much larger & with a better strategy.
- Discussed OH's strengths in treatments & parnterships
- Berger Health Foundation is still operating, but is now called "The Well-Being Foundation" (aka "The Foundation”).
In appreciation of this year's speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to the Pickaway County Dog Shelter will be made in their names.
16th: Brave Choices (active addiction & affected families) - Beth Bullock
23rd: Drug deaths in Pickaway - John Ellis
30th: Group Study Excahnge (GSE) Team's visit to Taiwan
6th: History of funeral business - Ashley Thacker, Scheodinger Funeral
13th: Amanda Knotts from Brooks Yates
20th: Rainbow Literacy program - David Fausnaugh
27th: Changing of the Guard