Marie Nemes-Crawford, Editor
January calendar – Gary Dean, Program Chair
5th – Krista Bower – Chamber of Commerce
12th – Jeremy Joyce – Special Olympics
19th – Maggie Simmons – PAAC
26th – Erica Tucker – District Director of Solid Waste Authority
28th – * Dueling Piano’s – Sunrise Rotary fundraiser at Fairgrounds
February calendar – Ian Webb, Program Chair
2nd: Erin Edwards- Food and Drink Editor at Columbus Monthly
4th: * Rotary Foundation Gala – Hocking Hills Lodge
9th: Erin Allsop- Big Brothers, Big Sisters
16th: Robert Fanska- Boy Scouts
23rd: Mikki Vinkovich-Program Manager for Child Protective Services
23rd: * After Hours at El Pedregal 5:30pm-7:00pm
March Calendar – Bob Sneed, Program Chair
2nd – Rural Urban Day
- April 28-29, 2023 – * District 6690 Conference – Veteran’s Memorial
- June 16, 2023 – Golf outing at Pickaway Country Club
- Presiding: President David M. Crawford
- Prayer: Norm Wilson
- Piano Player: Ellery Elick
- Song Leader: Jayme Fountain selected “I’m Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover”; “ROTARY”
- Attending: (Drexel has official list) Crawford, Nemes-Crawford, Poling, Spangler, Johnson, Rothe, Mavis, Foster, T.Tootle, McNemar, Simmons, Dean, D.Webb, Hedges, McCrady, R.Wolfe, D.Wolfe, Wilson, Elick, Fouts, McIlroy, Canfield, C.Chamberlain, Retanio, Radcliff, Sneed, Riegel, Ankrom, E.Liggett, Fountain, Wolford, Brown, Neff, B.Tootle, Justinger, Hooks, Marosher
- Guests: Fred Mavis introduced Mike Whitten; Charlie Hedges’s wife Mollie was with us, as was Dave Horning
- Students: from Westfall today, Emily Smith introduced Matt Mathes and Makayla Cook
- January Birthdays: 5th-Bob Tootle; 13th-Carly Neff; 22nd-Dave Webb; 23rd-Roger Wolfe; 24th-Fred Mavis; 25th-Wayne Vickers; 28th-Bill Kramer
- January Anniversaries: 7th-Bob Mabe
New member applicants: Michele Blanton, sponsored by Don McIlroy, has applied for membership and has been approved by the board.
New members welcomed: Michele Lanman and Stacy Young were welcomed into membership today! Thank you Jamie Fountain and Ty Ankrom for being their sponsors.
Board meeting highlights:
- Board given midterm update on president’s 2022-23 goals
- Discussed financials and challenges of an increase of RI and District dues in coming years.
- Reviewed 2023-24 officer positions. Voted to assign “executive secretary” title to Drexel. In the short-term, beginning in July, David C. will assume “secretary” title to assist with computer updates and other tasks as assigned.
- District meeting is April 28-29 at Veterans Memorial in Columbus.
- Approved Michelle Blanton (Don McIlroy sponsor) and Mike Whitten (Fred Mavis sponsor) for membership
- After-hours set for Feb. 23 at El Pedregal
- Suggested Rotary host members of the new Boy Scout affiliate troop 52 at regular meetings during summer months
- Tony Robinson has set wheels in motion for 4-Way Speech Contest. Contest is March 18 at the library
- Voted in favor of donating $650 toward purchase of new downtown Christmas lights. Check presentation July 13th.
- Voted in favor of $250 donation for Honor Flight Columbus. Check presentation March 16th.
- Soup Kitchen – this coming Monday – 3:45pm at Presbyterian Church. All are welcome.
SAA: Dave Webb
- Big event remembered next week – 45 years ago what happened Blizzard of ‘78 (a Thursday)
- Three school districts opened in 3 state area – Circleville was local
- What was temp night before blizzard? 40’s
- Between 5-6am: temp dropped 21 degrees in one hour
- 50 mph gusts
- Greatest 24 hour snowfall on record
- EXTRA anecdote from Fred Mavis: during the blizzard, there was one person who was working in the bank. Earl Palm drove his tractor.
Scholarship Drawing: Roger Wolfe was the winner of the drawing $18. The jackpot is $864 and it continues!!
Program: Maggie Simmons – Pickaway Addiction Action Coalition (PAAC)
- Thanks to the work of Mollie Hedges, the insight of Tim Colburn and Ty Ankrom, PAAC was founded in 2015
- PAAC was awarded a Federal Drug Free Communities grant in 2021 for $125,000 each year for 5 years
- Working with school districts
- Be the Change Youth Rally sponsored for 300 students
- Training sessions for community – how to talk to kids about drugs, etc.
- Drug Take Back Day (fire station, and another site is being worked on with the Sheriff office) April 20, 2023 10am-2pm
- Deterra Distribution Bags for expired meds are back in stock
- Goal is to create a youth coalition and town hall meetings or forums
- Www.drugfreepickaway.com for upcoming events and information
- In appreciation of this year’s speakers sharing their time & efforts, donations to Pickaway Pathways for Success will be made in their names.
One reply on “01-19-2023”
great meeting !!