Marie Nemes-Crawford, Editor
August Calendar – Ty Ankrom, Program Chair
Aug 3: Dennis Lowe – Drug Task Forcre
Aug 10: Maggie Simmons – PAAC – Community Input
Aug 17: Sarah Walsh – Cook Center for Human Connections
Aug 24: Steve Helwagen – OSU Football
Aug 28: *Community Kitchen
Aug 31: Jennifer Lloyd – Recovery Ohio
- Presiding: President Warren Spangler
- Prayer: Tony Robinson
- Piano: MaKenzie Love & Ellery Elick
- Song Leader: Stacy Young called in “Home on the Range”, “Sing out a song of Rotary”
- Attending: (Drexel has official list) 37 today – Spangler, Poling, Crawford, Nemes-Crawford, C.Chamberlain, Canfield, Fouts, Robinson, Wilson, Lambert, Dean, Duvall, B.Liggett, Schreiner, Riegel, McCrady, Routt, Foster, I.Webb, Elick, D.Wolfe, Radcliff, Droste, Montgomery, Weaver, Rawlins, White, K.Neff, Brown, McNemar, Lam, T.Chamberlain, Horning, Hooks, Mabe, B.Tottle, Searls
- Guests: Josh Ford ; April Kisor, Jane Love & Pat Tejeda
- Gary Montgomery thanked Bob Sneed, Bob McCrady, Tom Duvall, Daryl Wolfe, Warren Spangler, Angela Beavers, David & Marie Crawford, Sandy Montgomery & Alice Harker. Over 100 meals were prepared.
- Margaret Raimey is celebrating her 100th birthday and Sunrise Rotary is promoting her open house Saturday, Sept. 2nd, 1-4pm, Nazarene Church, Walnut Creek Pike.
- Honor Flight cards for Paul Vance – this week and next. Paul learned of Honor Flight at one of our meetings and his mission is Sept. 7th
- Rob Radcliff – sign-up for Pumpkin Show Booth has already started! Don’t wait, sign-up today for the biggest fundraiser of the year.
SAA: David Crawford
- Seven Pillars of Rotary (he didn’t make a dime)
Scholarship Drawing: Connie Chamberlain was the winner of $26. The jackpot is $1,672 and it continues!
Program: MaKenzie Love – Teays Valley junior and National Braille Reading Finalist
- MaKenzie was born blind and started Braille training at age 4. It took 4 or 5 years to excel and her passion to read grew and currently takes AP classes at Teays
- Braille Institute competition from Canada, UK, America
- First place in State of Ohio in varsity level
- Invited to National Challenge in Los Angeles this past June
- MaKenzie enjoyed SOAR (Summer Orientation & Mobility and Adapted Living Resource Program). Highly intensive, structured, residential training program that provides specialized instruction to youth ages 16-21 who are legally blind.
- Learn how to sort clothes, manage money, cook, etc.
- Independence is increased with knowing how to use the technology available
- Plays piano by ear
- Unified Braille code was used throughout the world and in 2015 the US changed from American Braille
- MaKenzie plays symbols in the marching band- Teays Valley has a guide with her for marching and she plays xylophone in the pit during halftime shows
- Plans after high school – master’s degree in secondary education in either history or teaching others to read braille
In appreciation for the speaker today, a donation will be made to the Foster Care Program of Pickaway County through Jobs and Family Services